What do you think?

Guest prof pat

Guest 1hooligan

I have just acquired two more for my collection a 37 ford pheaton, and a 37 ford station wagon. The wagon is 100 percent original and complete, but needs a complete nut and bolt resto. The question is on the pheaton, it has been started as a hot rod, and would be very hard or near impossible to restore back to original. What I am thinking is to complete as tastefully as possible. The frame has all been modified new front end, rear end, and set up for a small block ford. The top has been chopped three inches, along with the top bows. The sheet metal is all there, but many if not all of the pheaton only parts are gone. What do you think guys and girls? Thanks for your imput.

Guest Jim_Edwards
I have just acquired two more for my collection a 37 ford pheaton, and a 37 ford station wagon. The wagon is 100 percent original and complete, but needs a complete nut and bolt resto. The question is on the pheaton, it has been started as a hot rod, and would be very hard or near impossible to restore back to original. What I am thinking is to complete as tastefully as possible. The frame has all been modified new front end, rear end, and set up for a small block ford. The top has been chopped three inches, along with the top bows. The sheet metal is all there, but many if not all of the pheaton only parts are gone. What do you think guys and girls? Thanks for your imput.

Love hot rods, but can't imagine anyone chopping up a Phaeton to build one. Looks to me the only logical thing to do is to finish the Street Rod project as far a finances will take you and then sell the sucker to someone, or maybe just sell it to someone now. If I recall correctly there is a rod shop just outside of Prescott, you might be able to make a quick deal there. Finished out in grand style that thing could easily bring $35-$50 thousand, maybe more.

Jim

Guest 1hooligan

Shop Rat, I am not quite sure. I am in it about 16K, including a trade car. Not sure how I could finish right and get my money out. No rust in the body. But the reason I bought it to begin with was to keep it out of a mashers hands, if you know what I mean. We could do it ourselves, and complete for about 30K. Just not sure.............

Most of the time the advice I see given here is that you can't restore/redo a vehicle expecting to get your money back out of it. There are of course exceptions to that. And hot/street rods if well done can bring big prices if you find that just right buyer that has to have it.

I think it boils down to whether you would like to finish what was started or find a buyer you trust to not be a masher that will enjoy working on it and provide you with some cash to work on the other one.

Guest De Soto Frank
Talking with a lady body shop owner a while back I remarked that I thought the price of a car they had just finished was a little to high for my pockets. With a big smile she said( Dick,theres a as* for every seat

Just not as many a**es willing to part with their cash these days, and credit is tight...

I'm still convinced that the ridiculous sums being spent on muscle-car clones at Barret-Jackson a few years ago were fueled by home-equity loans and unsecured debt...

Just my 2-cents-worth.

Guest windjamer

:)Frank, did you watch the latest B.J.auction?? I think the bottom fell out. Some of those cars sold or where hammered down for reasonable money.:eek:

Hooligan,

You bought it because you liked it. The decision s easy, finish it.

Now the question is how?

I suggest making what you have driveable, then decide. I know a guy here in Florida with a 36 Phaeton that he made driveable with all the old body and top

still in use. He enjoyed it for several years while gathering parts then re-did it all in Washington Blue. When completed nobody will care it's not stock, especilly if the hood stays closed covering the 50 Mercury flathead with 3 97's. It will still look original to 99% of the so called experts and he'll enjoy it until the offers exceed it's value. (Like my stock 34 Phaeton)

The fun is in the doing, not in getting some judges nod of approval.

Sounds like putting it back stock is like putting toothpaste back in the tube.

Enjoy the adventure.