Maxwell Buyer Tips?

MochetVelo

Guest richentee

Beside the usual places an old car wears (front wheel bearings, steering joints, etc) and assuming the engine/transmission has been rebuilt, the rear end can have significant wear, especially the pinion shaft which runs on a large bronze bearing, the pinion gear/ring gear and the spur gear differential. Also, the universal joints can easily run dry and wear if they were not attended to.

Guest richentee

With the car in gear and front wheels chocked, lift the rear of the car and turn the rear wheels and feel and for slack in the differential (do the wheels move in opposite directions at the same time--there will be a little, but not a lot of play, say 5 degrees, but not 15?); with one rear wheel blocked, is there play before the pinion tries to turn? . With the car down, wheels down, transmission in neutral, is there play in the drive shaft? Play at the universals or at the pinion? Harder to see is if the drive shaft is free to move longitudinally; it should be free to slide at the front universal if I remember correctly.

Thanks again. The Maxwell was a popular car (number three in sales?) in 1909, so are parts findable for them? I'm thinking that several owners have made drivetrain gears, etc. over the years. Are there machinists that can supply these without having to start from scratch?

Phil

Guest richentee

Parts are a mixed bag: some used from collectors and swap meets, some you make, no NOS. A few collectors have made replacement parts and kits. You have to look around and ask.

Edited by richentee
Additional info (see edit history)

Assuming the motor may not have been rebuilt, check the jugs for cracks. Most early parts are not readily available and usually have to be machined.

If you have any interest in a very rare car, I would consider parting with my 07 model H roadster. 22 hp motor and 3 spd planetary sets it way ahead of the 14 hp with 2 spd.

rdz69@aol.com

Guest Silverghost

Phil:

I see you are in West Chester Pa.~ I am not that far away from you I suspect !

If you would like me to go along with you to mechanically evaluate this Maxwell I would be happy to do so !

I am a mechanical engineer and 50+ year car Brass era & Classic car collector !

Don't worry I am not interested in a Maxwell ~

And would never try to buy it out from under you !

Always glad to help-out a fellow local Antique Car collector.

I also have quite a bit of free time !

Just checked-out your home page and I am a Mechanical Music Machine Collector~

We spoke several times about 15 years ago !

You should remember me !

BRAD HUNTER

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)