Temp Bulb Trouble

Mark Simmons

I am not new to this forum but do not post a lot I have a Buick 233 engine that is disassembled and about ready to go to the machine shop. I am having a boat load of trouble trying to remove the temp bulb from the head. To date I have soaked it with PB Blaster, WD-4, and Liquid Wrench Super Penetrating Oil all to no avail. This bulb is so tight that the liquid that is sprayed into the hole just sits there. Any and all methods you can come up with will be tried. Stuart in Australia said these things can be rebuilt. Does anyone have a lead as to who is doing this kind of work? Can the bulb be accessed from the soft plug hole in the back of the head or from the rocker arm alignment stud at the rear of the the top of the head ? Thanks for any and all input. Mark :confused:

So here I am and yes the bulb is still stuck in the head. It looks like it'll have to be destroyed to get it out of the head. Does anyone out there have a picture of this part that they are willing to share so I can see exactly what I'm looking at. Hopefully to minimize damage. Thanks, Mark BCA # 45145

Mark:

I destroyed bulb on my Buick 8 years ago, I finally had to drill it for a sheet metal screw and pull it out with a slide hammer. You only have to worry about avoiding damage to the seat in the head, your damaged bulb is quite replaceable.

There is a fellow in Florida/Vermont called "The Temperature Gauge Guy" who used to advertise regularly in Hemmings. He fixes these for reasonable prices and has plenty of the original style bulbs to replace yours. Look in Hemmings under "Services". The Skinned Knuckles article has a DIY solution that would probably also work, if you're handy.

Good luck...

Bill

So here I am and yes the bulb is still stuck in the head. It looks like it'll have to be destroyed to get it out of the head. Does anyone out there have a picture of this part that they are willing to share so I can see exactly what I'm looking at. Hopefully to minimize damage. Thanks, Mark BCA # 45145

You can see the bulb in the lower left corner of the picture.

tf20041009-03.jpg

Instructions for repair: http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Uli