1960 Buick Heater Control Valve

Guest DinoBob

Guest DinoBob

I have a '60 Lesabre which recently had its entire upper dash and cluster pulled for some work. While it was out, I noticed that the Bowden cable that connects the HEAT control on the dash to the heater control valve was disconnected.

Much to my surprise, while searching for the connection, I could not locate the valve. I looked at the diagram in the shop manual about 20 times, and I removed the inspection port in the front of the heater box. I can see the inlet and outlet of the heater core. No valve.

Am I just completely clueless, or is it possible that someone removed the heater control valve from the circuit?

Guest DinoBob

I appreciate the prompt reply very much.

You could be right, I could be looking in the wrong place, but I was expecting that if I removed the inspection door on the front of the heater box, under the right side of the dash, that I would see the heater control valve. I see the heater core inlet, which is the lower fitting, going out through the firewall. It comes in and goes directly into the bottom of the heater core. I can't see the return fitting as it seems to be surrounded with some sort of shield.

Looking at the FSM's drawing of the system, that heater control valve is just not where I expected it to be. So, my quick question is this: if I remove the inspection door, shouldn't I see the heater control valve, just to the left of the heater core? And wouldn't the coolant inlet hose from under the hood flow right into the control valve, before it enters the core?

Edited by DinoBob
Typo and correction (see edit history)

I think you're right. It's been about four years but I recall that you disconnect the control cable through that inspection door and so it goes to reason that you should be seeing the control valve which is on the water inlet side as you suggest.

When my valve went bad and started leaking, I went through the thought process of doing a solder job revision and installing a valve in the engine compartment. Almost by accident, I stumbled upon an elderly gentleman in California that rebuilds these valves. Otherwise, my car would have ended up with the same thing that your car may very well have.

• 7 years later...

I also have a 1960 Buick I have an issue with my heater I had the valve rebuilt and the core but I still have issues it leaks from the rubber gasket between the valve and core. Everything is clean and new. I think the gaskets they now use are slightly smaller but I think the pressure is making some fluid still leak out. I may have to walk it on. Please help if you can.

44533E7C-FC86-4DE1-BFE2-9E6C037D79CB.jpeg

Edited by Sja68gts@gmail.com
Additional problems (see edit history)

Yes, that heater fan shroud needs to be sealed against the firewall, otherwise you'll get engine compartment noise, heat, and fumes into the interior.  There may be a gasket, or you could cut a gasket.  But I used a product I got at my local hardware store on my 56's heater cover.  It looked just like the material I took out when I removed the cover.  It may even come in black now.  The best part is I was able to put on a thick coat and then remove the material that squished out, but I know I got a full, waterproof, seal at that location.

1769551152_56Heatercorereinstallation006.jpg.a101e9fe11357434efbf12e5a1a9e2e6.jpg

You'll need to check with your manual but on my 56 that copper coil is inside the air duct just inside the cabin.

18 hours ago, Sja68gts@gmail.com said:

Found this but don’t have a clip

17518024-C5AA-47CB-B978-458B74336B75.jpeg

If you look closely at the picture, in the middle of the coiled up copper you will see the plastic U shaped end protruding from the core.  As stated above, push on the pointed end of your plastic clip between the cores cooling fins. Then push the coil into the U shaped end. 

37 minutes ago, Sja68gts@gmail.com said:

See my picture of the core with the valve attached? There are 2-3 different valve manufactures not all are rebuildable Fuscick Buick rebuilds them

Fusick rebuilt my control valve.  Works great and no leaks!   Did you figure out the white plastic clip that holds the coil of brass to the heater core?

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Sja68gts@gmail.com said:

Anyone know what this is I think it’s from my heater but not sure

D765D629-006F-4E3B-A37C-81B57464CE5F.jpeg

I do not recall seeing this part when I removed and repaired my heater core.  I do not know what this part is or where it goes.   

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I do not recall seeing this part when I removed and repaired my heater core.  I do not know what this part is or where it goes.   

not sure about the spring but i believe that the plastic is the breather for the power brake booster, if you look above the brake pedal under the dash you will probable see the tube about the size of the hole where the spring is going in in the picture. there is supposed to be some sort of filter material in the plastic so no dirt is sucked into the booster 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

not sure about the spring but i believe that the plastic is the breather for the power brake booster, if you look above the brake pedal under the dash you will probable see the tube about the size of the hole where the spring is going in in the picture. there is supposed to be some sort of filter material in the plastic so no dirt is sucked into the booster 

Now that you say that, I do recall seeing this just above the steering column for the booster.