1979 Riviera S Type V6 Turbo - 2,389 miles

Guest Sharkb24

Guest Sharkb24

1979 Buick Riviera S-Type 3.8 V6 Turbo, FWD. Only 2,389 miles! This car was just taken out of storage after 30 years on blocks. It is one of a kind. Purchased from original owner. Runs Great! Car is in KY - asking $19,000 -email Sharkb24@aol.com or call 606-871-0100 if interested

Guest Sharkb24

Sorry, I am new to this. Here are a few pictures. If you would like to see anything else on the car just let me know. I will be glad to take a picture.

post-71226-143138348659_thumb.jpg

post-71226-14313834867_thumb.jpg

post-71226-143138348673_thumb.jpg

post-71226-143138348677_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Sharkb24

Those are the original tires. I assure you all the dog hasn't watered them. The car is kept in the garage. It was only taken out for the pictures.

1979 Buick Riviera S-Type 3.8 V6 Turbo, FWD. Only 2,389 miles! This car was just taken out of storage after 30 years on blocks. It is one of a kind. Purchased from original owner. Runs Great! Car is in KY - asking $19,000 -email Sharkb24@aol.com or call 606-871-0100 if interested

So...you bought the car to flip it? What did you pay for the car?

Guest my3buicks

Good luck with that asking price, we had to about give this fully loaded never in the snow or rain 79 Riv away last year. PS: (These are original tires, possibly the Turbo cars used a different tire?)

post-30591-14313837886_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Despite our comments, mine included, that is a sharp car. I personally don't care for posters with no intent on remaining in the hobby-coming on here just to sell a car at a high profit margin, but it is what it is.

I do enjoy the analysis. This is clearly - of honestly advertised - a #1 car and the ultimate survivor.

Since I spend hundreds of hours pouring over pricing on cars, I think your price is accurate BUT the pool of buyers is VERY limited.

I can find clean, low mileage 79-85 Rivieras all day long from $1500 to $6500. By low mileage I run from 30,000 miles to approximately 100,000. The 65,000 to 100,000 mile cars might have had a transmission changed out and such but still show well.

A good example was that 1985 W car (wood/suede interior) I found on a dealer lot last winter for $3500. It had 115,000 well cared for miles and showed about as nice as this car for about 15% of what you are asking for your S-Type.

#2 - Potential buyers will make a judgement about how best to spend their $19,000. A nice Chevelle SS ? or a 79-85 Riviera with 2,300 miles? It's a non starter.

So, while there is a buyer out there at $19,000 it's needle, meet haystack time.

The best bet is evilbay with about 20 high resolution photos.

Wow! Very cool car...and an S Type to boot! Thanks for posting your extremely unusual Buick time capsule to this Buick only forum. Good luck with your sale, hope it goes to someone in the BCA (or ROA).

Tom Mooney

P.S. Perhaps you should also consider posting to the Riviera Owners Assoc forum, accessible here at this website. Quite a few needles in that haystack!

Guest Sharkb24

There were less than 2,100 of these cars made. This Buick is the S-Type with FWD ,V6 Turbo and less than 2,400 miles on it. It is not your everyday 79-85 Riviera. How does that compare to a car with 115,000 miles on it?

Not that it should matter, but we bought the car because we like classics, not just to “flip it“. We also have a 67 Buick Skylark, 54 Ford Mainliner, and a 53 Chevrolet pickup. We have been in the hobby for years and intend to stay. This car is just to nice and unique for us to be driving it around in the country. We are also running out of room for the indoor storage it requires. We wanted someone who would enjoy and appreciate it to have the opportunity to buy it, that is why we chose this forum to post it in. Next month it should be appearing in the ROA magazine and BCA in February.

I really appreciate everyone’s input. Happy Holidays.

There were less than 2,100 of these cars made. This Buick is the S-Type with FWD ,V6 Turbo and less than 2,400 miles on it. It is not your everyday 79-85 Riviera. How does that compare to a car with 115,000 miles on it?

It is, I agree, apples and oranges. But to a person dropping down the money they have to decide between spending $1500 to $6000 on a nice Riviera from the 79-85 period.

I think - and this is just my opinion but it might be shared - that some cars do not necessarily benefit from a low production run. The 79-85 Riviera, not including the convertible, looks as great as a 79 S Type as it does an 85 with a 305 V8.

Interiors were extremely well done in all years for these Rivieras and the bodies changed little. A person can buy a very nice 79-85 for about 10% to 35% of your asking price and intrinsicly enjoy this generation's styling and road manners just the same.

So your market is that crowd that is looking for the low mileage time capsule aspect of your purchase. A small crowd.

• 1 year later...
Good luck with that asking price, we had to about give this fully loaded never in the snow or rain 79 Riv away last year. PS: (These are original tires, possibly the Turbo cars used a different tire?)

Wish I would of seen that in the Riviera forum, I'd been interested in the car.

Jason you need to start reading your Riview! I`m sure it has appeared there quite a few times.

This is really a super find for a `79-`85 enthusiast. If well kept this is virtually a new car. I`ve been brushing up on the facts regarding this gen and the S-Types are very cool. If this was a color I am partial to this car would have been very tempting. Might very well still be available!

Tom Mooney

2300 miles on blocks for 30 years where are the orig tries

S Type Rivs came with thin stripe Firestone tires or even blackwall in '79/'80. The wide white stripe standard Rivs got that year were not available on the S Type. These were a popular tire for late '70's sporty luxury cars and mimic the thin stripe Michelin tire offered these years at a lower cost. My '77 Grand Prix SJ came with the same tire. The original spare is in the trunk of mine.

Not that it should matter, but we bought the car because we like classics, not just to “flip it“. We also have a 67 Buick Skylark, 54 Ford Mainliner, and a 53 Chevrolet pickup. We have been in the hobby for years and intend to stay. This car is just to nice and unique for us to be driving it around in the country. We are also running out of room for the indoor storage it requires. We wanted someone who would enjoy and appreciate it to have the opportunity to buy it, that is why we chose this forum to post it in. Next month it should be appearing in the ROA magazine and BCA in February.

I really appreciate everyone’s input. Happy Holidays.

Hey there, that's a GREAT car! You shouldn't have to apologize or defend yourself here. :cool: