1926 Buick push rod

check for a stuck valve on that cylinder. The oil pan will be full of sludge if it hasnt been used/serviced. As is sounds like it hasnt been serviced tread carefully before starting, oil the cylinders, rockers, valves etc. Check and lubricate everywhere you can. finding another push rod shouldnt be hard. Update your profile so we know where you are?

Roger

How bad is it bent? I had a pushrod bend in a 1924 Master and I was able to straighten it. The idea to check for a stuck valve is a good one. That's what bent my pushrod.

I'm not sure how a p.r. comes out on a standard. On the master, I backed out the rocker adjuster as far as possible, compressed the valve spring, slid the rocker sideways, off the valve & p.r. and then just slipped the p.r. out of the top of the engine. When you try to compress the valve spring and push the valve down, as described above, you'll find out if the valve is stuck or sticky.

probably a few ways but Ill add a "beware"... the engine may be simple but its not cheap to fix so maybe seek help locally to steer you in the right direction :)

...so anyway, it could be bent, solidy stuck or have a valve guide problem, none of those can be fixed with the head on. Its one of those experience things to tell whats what. What you can do is oil the stem (all of them while your at it) and tap the top of the valve stem with something like a brass drift and a hammer. Tap only! no wacking or heavy hitting. A free valve will open a little and "pop" shut, a stuck valve will stay down, a frozen valve wont move. Google anything your not sure of in this.

Edited by Roger_Roy (see edit history)

97Welter,

Roger has some excellent advice on freeing the valve.

Yes, the valve is on the other side from the pushrod. It is the vertical shaft that you can see within the coils of the valve spring. Actually, the vertical part of the valve, that you can see, is the valve stem. You could try using a penetrating oil or even automatic transmission fluid to lubricate the valve stem before tapping on it to check for movement.

I straightened my pushrod by first putting it in a metal lathe which allowed me to accurately turn it and judge just where it was bent and how badly. I then tapped and nudged it to straighten the bends and got just about perfect. It takes patience and a little finesse. I'm guessing you don't have a metal lathe. You don't really need one, it's just handy that's all. You can roll your p.r. on a very flat surface and note where the bends are by the light peeking through the gaps between the rod and the flat surface. You can hold the rod LIGHTLY in a vise, placing it in the vise based on where the bends were observed, and nudge it, or LIGHTLY tap it with a small hammer to correct the bend. Go back to the flat surface and check your progress. Remember; patience. OR, take the generous offer above and get another p.r. from Steve.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I lubed all the valve stems and turned the motor by hand with the crank. All the rockers and valve stems moved freely with no noise. Is there anything else I should check that may have caused the bent push rod? Im going to take Steve up on that offer for the good pushrods. I really appreciate it. How do I remove the bent push rod? I loosened the rocker and moved it out of the way. When I pull up on the push rod, it seems like there is a spring that holds the push rod in the bottom of the motor, it snaps back down.....I havent loosened the nut and removed the retainer that is at the bottom of the 2 push rods because Im not sure what is down there.....Any advice? Thanks again