Asbestos in headliners?

jcmiller

Does anyone know if the headliner backing/padding in 1948 Windsor/Travelers contains asbestos?

I understand that some of the interior plastic moldings contain it. Are there any other places I need to watch our for it besides the obvious ones (hood liner, brakes, gaskets, etc.)?

Thanks.

You headliner is atypically a broad cloth material, and a cotton batting sorta insulation, at least on mine that is what was up there.

Take precautions when working around Asbestos, where appropriate clothing, respirator, and eye protection.

Being that you are not going to work on any of this on a daily basis, you should not have much to worry about.

If you are worried about a residual long term affect of the OEM headliner in the car, don't think you have much to worry about.

I am generally more concerned with Mouse droppings and Hanta Virus..........Fred

Thanks Fred. I'll probably have it tested just to be sure. It's pretty inexpensive and the peace of mind when it comes back negative will be valuable. I am concerned because it is hanging down and falling apart and needs to be removed. If there is asbestos, which I doubt, the rest of the interior is likely contaminated too.

Thanks Fred. I'll probably have it tested just to be sure. It's pretty inexpensive and the peace of mind when it comes back negative will be valuable. I am concerned because it is hanging down and falling apart and needs to be removed. If there is asbestos, which I doubt, the rest of the interior is likely contaminated too.

The firewall mat probably has abestos in it as possibly the undercoating . The clutch disc another hazard if its old. That cardboard heater ducting should be tested too on the Model 53 and 4 heaters- it kinda looks suspicious.

I don't think I want to think about this issue anymore or let the government find out and take my old chryslers away for testing!

Bob

• 2 months later...

I am glad to see ya'll are smart enough to be concerned. My died at 71 of asbestosis and it was not an easy passing. Overtest, it is cheap. You can get a wetting agent to penetrate the asbestos and slow down or stop the friability qualities. Definitely use the proper protection for respiration. A dust mask will not do! Good luck on your restoration.