positive ground cars

mrspeedyt

I have never seen one before..........Now we know how the ElCamino & Ranchero originated.

Many people that live in Australia have never seen one before either. There are currently three known 56 Plymouth UTEs in the US and one Desoto (mine) needless to say they stick out like a sore thumb and confuse even long time collectors here. Most people think I cut down a station wagon until they see the steering wheel on the wrong side. And I will get people arguing with me telling me it is a 54 not a 56 and I should know that if I own it.

I remember seeing some photos of these Chrysler Corp built trucks in one of my Dodge Books. It was noted that they were all for export. Very Cool. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Some were built in Detroit and shipped to export markets and some were built in foreign plants. Desoto trucks did not get sent to Canada the Fargo series went there. I see in your list of cars that you own a 1957 Dodge Sweptside truck. have you ever seen the 57 Desoto version built for export?

deswep.jpg

Instead of Dodge station wagon rear quarters they used 1956 Plymouth wagon pieces. Number made is unknown and none are currently known to survive. By the background this one may have gone to Hawaii (export in 57) Cuba? central America? either way if someone finds it give me a call

Oh yeah, you have the same book, and one of the photos that I remember. Drool, drool.... Oh... if only a trip to a tropical Island would turn up that truck... With a few native Girls for a photo session... We could have "Girls on Desoto's." (Idea Stollen from Mr. Earl.) :o .... :) ..... :D Dandy Dave!

Stearns-Knights, at least in the late teens and early 20's were positive ground.

Some had an interesting 6/12 volt system where the battery was 12 volt and had a third terminal in the middle which produced 6 volts. The 6 volts went to the ignition and the 12 volts went to the starter, horn and lights. See attached schematic.

post-41497-143138354221_thumb.jpg