1922 Buick starter/generator

Guest daejwil

Guest daejwil

I went to get an estimate today to fix the starter/generator on my 1922 Buick and was told to get another unit. Seems that a rebuild is as much as the car was to purchase. I am in need of a good unit if such a thing exists. If not some brushes, field coils and armature. This is going to be a car restoration stopper. I am also looking for a couple of spring clamps for the engine compartment splash pan, front spring u bolt, top clamps for the top of the windshield. I have a set of rear fenders for a '20 if there is anyone that needs them. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. Dave Williams 253-961-3052 daejwil@yahoo.comffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>

Those things are quite a rube-goldberg contraption, aren't they?

You can make brushes, but if your armature is bad, yes... you'll need another unit.

Here's where it gets interesting, the units tend to be not only year specific, but model specific. Brian Heil is the resident expert on these. The case will have numbers cast into it. Those are what will identify a match for you. There is an interchange list somewhere. I don't have my Buick anymore so I don't have the list.

Guest Tishabet
I went to get an estimate today to fix the starter/generator on my 1922 Buick and was told to get another unit. Seems that a rebuild is as much as the car was to purchase. I am in need of a good unit if such a thing exists. If not some brushes, field coils and armature. This is going to be a car restoration stopper. I am also looking for a couple of spring clamps for the engine compartment splash pan, front spring u bolt, top clamps for the top of the windshield. I have a set of rear fenders for a '20 if there is anyone that needs them. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. Dave Williams 253-961-3052 daejwil@yahoo.comffice:office" /><o>:P></o>:P>

<o>:P></o>:P>

Yikes, how costly is such a rebuild if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like a potential timebomb for any Buick with the combo starter/generator.

Guest daejwil

The quote that I got was between $800-$1200 and was told that there a few of these things around that are in useable shape that are available. It is just a matter of finding the right person. Dave 1922 Roadster

If I remember correctly the 22 starter generator adjusted the distributor rotor from the top of the distributor shaft like all preceding buick models but in 23 and 24 the rotor was adjusted from the bottom of the distributor shaft. I believe the units however are interchangeable for the 3 years on the 4 cylinders.

Guest daejwil
Leif,

Yes, the 6 cyl. models are larger.

Dave,

I may have a very nice 4 cyl. starter/gen. available but I don't know if it's correct for a 1922. Can you post photos of yours?

post-63553-143138345082_thumb.jpg

attached ia a picture of what is on my motor Dave

Dave,

The manual shows a Delco #231 a #236 for 1922. 1923,1924 is a #251.

The 1922 is different the 1923/24. What # is on yours? It looks like #251, which

would make it a 23. Are you sure your car is a 1922? Post the frame #.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Guest daejwil

The title shows as a 1922 but here is nothing on the data plate or the casting of the starter motor for date or part number. The fenders and sheetmetal are pre 1923 Rust is after 1924 - Dave

I zoomed in on the picture and the starter gen on the car is a 236...question is does the later one also fit the 1922 and if I remember I had the later on my 1922 McLaughlin.

Even though I recently sold my 1923 Model 38 and the complete drive train from a 1922 4 cylinder they are still in my garage if pictures or such are needed.

Took a couple of pictures that may confuse or clarify whether a model 251 can be used on a 1922 rather than the 231 or 236 that are definite matches.

I believe I had a 251 on my 1922 Buick McLaughlin but that car last I knew was somewhere in Europe. If I had a 251 on it it would have needed at least 1 modification for sure to fit. The pinion gear on the 231 and 236 that meshes with the motor clutch of that year is of a straight design. The pinion gear on the 251 isnot. If a 251 were to go on a 1922 then the pinion gear would need to be swapped out( easy as that not sure). The other difference I see in the 1922 versus 1923 units is the design of where the wires go into the unit. See attached photos.

post-53510-143138348068_thumb.jpg

post-53510-14313834808_thumb.jpg

post-53510-143138348089_thumb.jpg

post-53510-143138348099_thumb.jpg

I found a picture of my 1922 Mclaughlin Roadster showing the starter generator ....The wires are going in the back consistent with the model 251.

This is the way I got the car so I can not fully speak to the unobvious modifications that may or may not be required.

post-53510-14313834839_thumb.jpg

Guest daejwil

This has been a great experience on help available through this group. I would like to thank everyone for their help on my project. I am still in need of brushes, field coil, and arm if anyone has parts to sell. Please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo everybody,

Just new to the Forum, that I found by typing ''Delco motor generator''.

My 24-47 has become very difficult to start, even with a new battery, so I expect the starter needing a bit of service.

It looks like the one Mark pics (Oct.30) and the pic down rigth from TBlack; is that the 251 type?

Can anyone tell me how to take the starter-generator from the engine? From Mark's pic I suppose 3 mounting bolts or studs on the underside. But I have not the faintest idea whether I can just lift the s-g out after undoing them. Do I have to undo any other connections (apart from the electric ones) and do I have to take precautions for the ignition timing?

Sorry if am not totally clear in my questioning, as I do not have the car nearby to get a good look at it. But with an answer I will be able to take a better look next week.

Cheers, Lex