Sign in to follow this  
Dean_H.

1932 Ford Model B project

The body shop delivered the finished body this Friday. Fred went with a dark maroon color and black belt line. Originally the car was all black, but this is a nice color and the paint shop did an excellent job. They're still working on the fenders and other parts. I loosely set the body on the frame and rolled it into the shop. We plan on bolting it to the frame next weekend.

I recently got a (regular) job and won't have as much time to tinker with this thing. But fortunately the hard stuff is done, we're on the down hill stretch. :)

Here are a couple pics I snapped yesterday afternoon.

600pix-4-30-11.jpg

600pix4-30-11b.jpg

Dean...thanks for the update. We have been wondering about the status of the car. That body looks so beautiful. It will be a perfect match to the precision and excellent work that you do.

Hello All, i just come upon this thread, and may i say beautiful job on the model b. I am new to these model cars. I actually have been given a trailer made from a model b axle. I was in the process of rebuilding it and pulled the drums off (front) and was gonna replace the wheel seals, but i cant find anything on what to purchase. My question is when you put the front drums back on, what did you use for a seal? or did these even have a seal?

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks

Dan

I have an original Ford parts book 1928-1934 and I don't see a seal listed for the front wheel. There is a part number B-2060 called a baffle which is supposed to catch any grease that flys off of the wheel before it gets to the brakes.

Hello, Thanks. I looked up that part# and i still have the baffles, so ill make sure they go back. I guess there is no seal, now ill figure out a way to seal it up a little better, or get another axle. Im afraid of dirt and water getting in. As much as i use a trailer though it may last me for the rest of my life. Also i found this baffle here Mike's I'm sure you already know this, but just in case you will now.

Again thanks for the help.

Dan

Thanks for the compliments, sounds like a neat old trailer.

The old Ford is coming along. Nothing too technical, we simply bolt on parts when the body shop turns them out. The fit up has been decent and using new bolts, it's fairly easy. Time is becoming an issue however, I'm only available to work on it one day a week now. ...Some pictures of our progress.

Here the body is sitting loose on the frame.

may2011b.jpg

In this picture, Fred is putting in some body bolts. You'll also notice the firewall is installed. Kind of an odd set up there, the body cinches down around the firewall holding it in place. We're also putting in new weather stripping everywhere, so squeaks should be minimal.

may2011a.jpg

A back view after we installed the rear fenders. Fred bought new running board rubber and we glued that on before installing them.

june2011a.jpg

And last but not least, the front view of the car with hood and grille looking pretty spiffy.

june2011.jpg

Dark paint, black wheels, black tires.... BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!

Very nice taste! I am your number one fan.

OK, so this'll be my last update on the Ford since I no longer have it at my place. Yesterday, I transported it back to Fred's house. We managed to get most of the body parts installed and the drive train is done. It still needs windows, wiring and interior, but I think we got through a lot of the heavy lifting on the project.

Fred is going to finish it up at his house. My schedule has become quite busy and I could no longer find time to work on it. Fortunately Fred is more than capable and will likely have it on the road soon. It was fun seeing this neat old car coming together. We worked hard to get the fit up right. Fred will have a real beauty when he's done.

Let's see...pictures! Every one loves pictures!

Here's one I snapped yesterday after pushing it out of the shop. Ford sure had a nice looking front end on the 32s.

600pixend3.jpg

In this picture you can see the interior is still in need of some attention.

600oixend1.jpg

Our dog (Candy) relaxes as the old Ford leaves the building. :)

600pixend.jpg

There it is in front of Fred's house. Sure did get a lot of 'thumbs up' on the road. It's a great looking car.

600pixend2.jpg

Dean....you did a fabulous job, way above and beyond the call of duty!!

Thanks for the compliments ESGEE. The last time I talked to the owner of this '32 Ford (about a year ago) he had the car running well enough to drive it around his neighborhood. The interior still needed to be done and he indicated the paint shop was going to buff the exterior. There were a few issues, as would be expected during a restoration - water pump had developed a leak, fuel gauge not working, electrical/wiring etc. he was working through those. The guy is a perfectionist and talks to lot of people before he completes tasks, it may take a while, but'll be nicely done when finished.