'36 Buick doorlock

copperjohn

I have noticed that my 1930 Buick Model 68 has the same issue. I even went so far as to obtain another locking door handle for the driver side, but then having done so discovered that it would not work, so I went back to the original non-locking style. As far as I know the reasoning behind this at the time was for safety issues, in that it was supposed to discourage one from standing in street traffic while locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key. Needless to say at some point in time the thinking on this changed, although I am not sure what year that the drivers side door could be locked with the key on the outside.

Thanks,

When parallel parking your car on the street, the driver and all passengers exited from the right onto the curb/sidewalk for safety reasons. Same principle with chauffeurs. They allow the passengers to safely enter and exit the vehicle curbside.

When parallel parking your car on the street, the driver and all passengers exited from the right onto the curb/sidewalk for safety reasons. Same principle with chauffeurs. They allow the passengers to safely enter and exit the vehicle curbside.

Exactly. The car manufacturers wanted to force you to use the sidewalk side doors.