PART NUMBERS

Guest Jim Piro

Guest Jim Piro

My gas level sensor is bad. I would like to change the gas tank, sender and fuel pump. All the numbers I can get bounce back from GM Parts DIRECT AND Vintage. WHAT ARE TO CORRECT NUMBERS??

Jim,

I suspect your sensor is not bad. I am guessing you do not use your car too much and from several experiences I have found just using the car and filling the tank and running it out several times will cause your sender to start working again. Leaving the tank full will also help as the sensor rheostat will not corrode.

The sensor is just a wiper that wipes across a wire wound piece and when they sit dry they can corrode.

Another problem is the sending unit assemblies will rust. If yours is still pretty much rust free I would recommend if you are going to lower the tank, reuse your assembly, clean the wire wound sensor and install a new pump.

If you car at this time does not need a new pump don't do anything. Fill the tank and maybe the problem with the sensor will go away.

I do have a rust free tank and sending unit assembly if you need one.

Jim

Guest RattyOne

Finn is correct; bought Ratty a couple of years ago and had the same problem. Spent $100 for a used sending unit fuel pump etc. Just kept filling the tank and now gas gage works perfect! Lesson learned - again the hard way!