Is this E & J carbide generator a repro?

Guest EMF-Owner

Guest EMF-Owner

Hello all,

I just got this E & J Acetylene generator for my E-M-F 30 restoration project. I am not real familiar with these and was wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me how I can determine if this is an original one, or a reproduction generator.

It does not appear to have any age stress fractures that I expected to see, but there is a lot of tarnish to remove, so I may find some as I go. It is complete including the mounting bracket.

I will try to include some pictures below.

Thanks for the help.

John

front_view.jpg

rear_view.jpg

clamp.jpg

interior.jpg

water_tank_bottom.jpg

tank_bottom.jpg

No question about it, you have the real deal and a very nice one. I only find the ones you mention, full of age cracks. I am still searching as I need one for my '09 Maxwell. Congratulations! ---Bob John, use some toilet bowl cleaner(with rubber gloves) and all that old tarnish you speak of will wash off and will take a lot less effort to polish.

Edited by Seldenguy (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

Great ORIGINAL find John.

Now all you need is carbide & some water.

PLEASE~

Be careful what you use to clean it as strong acids will eat the zinc out of the brass causing it to look like it's copper instead of brass.

Did you ever use Bartender's friend powder clenser ?

It's geat on old tarnished brass.

Call me about the charger~

I felt so sad I did not go to Hershey !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

I am not real familiar with these and was wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me how I can determine if this is an original one, or a reproduction generator.

I'm given to understand that reproductions lack their guts for liability reasons -- decoration only.

Looks like you snagged a pretty decent one.

Guest EMF-Owner

Thanks for all the replies.

I played around in the garage with it yesterday. Tried to see how easily the tarnish would come off. I took a little Noxon Polish and the tarnish came off pretty easy. I followed up with a little Flitz polish and I looks great, well at least the filler cap that I polished. Also tried a couple of other spots on the top and bottom tanks. Looks like this was never used.

I saw one of these at Chickasha last year with split tanks, no basket ($130 Repro) and no mounting bracket ($150 repro). It had a price tag of $800 and the owner was not budging. I paid significantly less for this one. It looks like I finally got a break on something. I usually end up offering more than I think something is worth to get it. It is nice to get a break. Thank You eBay!

Have a great day.

John

Guest Silverghost

You did indeed have luck.

Most things like this on eBay are bid way way over the normal average US flea market retail; because of worldwide audience.

I guess everyone was sleeping that day ?

Geat Find .

Does anyone today still actually use these carbide generators today for headlight gas on tours etc ?

OR~

Just the Prest-O-Lite running board "B" tanks ?

Some people do Brad, depends on how much your a purist. Also some use the acetylene tank you mentioned. And some use a small propane tank such as used for camping equipment. Most conceal this container inside of the carbide generator we were discussing above. Every thing looks original.--Bob

Guest EMF-Owner

keiser31

keiser31,

I will indeed post a picture, but it may be a while. Things like this I like to work on at car shows as I sit with my Model T. I will sit there and polish on a piece like this until I get it down to where I need to finish it and then I will do that in the garage. We will see, I would like to see this done.

I do intend to use this to generate acetylene and power the headlights. I will probably get a headlight done and this generator done and play with those two things by themselves.

I did find this on eBay but it was not a normal auction. It was a buy it now only. I am lucky to get it because I usually spend so much time thinking about making a purchase like this that it is gone by the time I make up my mind. I kind of jumped on this one and it appears to have paid off. I am very happy. This was the last major part I needed to find for this E-M-F Project. Now I just need to do all the work to finish the restoration. Talk to me in 70 years or so and I may have it done then :)

Thanks for all the replies.

John

Guest Silverghost

John that E-M-F restoration/reconstrution project is a great one for your old-age retirement !

It's a great rare project~

BUT...

More than I would ever consider taking on today !

Why not get your Father to pull that old engine apart and restore it for you ?

That might help get you going?

You told me he was a great Mechanic/Machinist when we spoke a month ago !

Pull the engine and take it to him for a good winter's project .

I know too well how long it takes you to Decide to actually purchase an item !