"Antique Auto Derby" Westport, Connecticut July 25, 1942

Guest Paul Christ

Guest Paul Christ

The link below will take you to a video on YouTube. Recognize any names or cars?

"This 10-minute film documents the "Antique Auto Derby" held at the Fairfield County Hunt Club in Westport, Connecticut on July 25, 1942. The event was organized by the Veteran Motor Car Club of America for the benefit of United China Relief. The "Derby" brought together "50 of America's First Cars". "

The Fairfield Hunt Club grounds look the same today as they did in the movies. There was a car show there in September this year. The Sam Bailey MERCER has had two other owners since this event, I finally got my first T Head MERCER ride in it over the Labor Day weekend, well worth the 49 year wait since seeing my first MERCER. I have an original program for the event with all 50 vehicles listed. The AACA "Amish Buggy" was at this event.

Guest bofusmosby

Great videos! Thank you for the posts!

I noticed that the oldest cars mentioned were 1898. This means that these cars (1898) were 44 years old. When you compare that to today, that would be like driving a 1966 car. Of course, these early cars were made at or near the birth of the auto industry.

If so he is in car #9 a 1903 Ford, is the Ford still in his family? I think it would be interesting to track down the current owners of the cars, I can find 12 of the 50 without too much searching. :)

So is that young AACA member J.B. Van Sciver in the back seat of his Dad's car?

Phil

Although I didn't see it identified. I did spot the 1913 Lozier model 72 that was owned by Rod Blood. It was a custom bodied Lozier. It was sold to the late Don Harter who restored it to a Briarcliff touring. This was a cover car on the AACA magazine more than 40 years ago. It was part of the Seal Cove collection. I understand it was sold and is now in California.

I also believe the custom body still exists, but it is not on a car at the present time.

Edited by Lozierman (see edit history)

Joe Van Sciver has told me about attending car meets with his father circa 1942. James Melton was one of his father's close friends as well as one of the early AACA presidents and an opera and radio star.

It is interesting to see how many cars he had present at one event.

It looks like great fun. A few years ago at the Cadillac Lasalle Club Grand National in Cherry Hill, NJ, a 1914 Cadillac town car showed up. It looked exactly like the one on the film. There were probably very few left in the world by 1942. I wonder if this is the same car?

It is also interesting to see what a large and entusiastic crowd showed up. I always had the feeling that the public in those days thought that antique car collecting was kind of odd.