Judging standards

Restorer32

Guest billybird

What is unfortunate, is when two vehicles are in the same class. One has material in abundance; the other has hardly anything as a guide. The vehicle everyone knows about will naturally be at a disadvantage if the: "if you don't know don't deduct" rule is applied.

Are there too many classes in a show to get judges that are familar with each class or a lack of people to judge.

I can't speak for the AACA side, but I know that in the Buick Club of America the answer is yes.

With that said, I believe you can not judge the class that your car is shown in. The problem is that many times, that is the category you have the most knowledge in. I have owned a 63 Buick Wildcat, but I don't necessarily know what is correct. On the other hand, I can judge a 55 Buick blindfolded.

And as for cars on pedestals... please note my signature. I got a Gold Senior award (highest possible) the first time I showed it at a Buick National show.

Oh yeah, I drove it 1800 miles to that show. 1800 miles back home.

My current car I am restoring will most likely be a "Trailer Queen" if I can afford a trailer after spending all of this money restoring it. It takes all kinds in this hobby.

Are you sure you want me joining and hanging around ?.

Jeff, you're missing the point here. The AACA has evolved over the years with changes made from time to time to benefit the hobby. We are an exclusive club that does its best to adhere to antique automobiles as they left the factory. We are proud of who we are.

As some members above have already stated, you need to attend a National Meet and observe how we do things, and yes, as an AACA member, you can join the Apprentice Judging Team where you will learn even more about our judging system. Try it, I guarantee you'll like it.:)

Wayne

Try it, you might like it. The people you meet in the AACA, BCA, NHRA or any other club you may join are just as interesting as their cars.

Even though the AACA is a restoration based club, that doesn't mean some of the members don't have hot rods. They just belong to other clubs and /or participate in other venues. Maybe you'll dig it and want to restore a car...

If you follow the rules set forth by the AACA to be a judge then you would be welcome to learn how to judge and join in the fun.

If you want to do it your way and not follow the rules of being a judge the correct way for the AACA then it wouldn't be in anyone's best interest for you to do so.

Ask yourself this question. If you had a vehicle that qualified in every way for an AACA meet and someone else didn't, would you want for a judge to let them slide and maybe beat you out of an award you justly deserve?

My guess is no you would want them to follow the rules of judging so that you would get the award you worked so hard for.

Regarding the question about how many judges, the same judges don't always come to every meet. The staff tries to match judges with a catagory they have asked for but if that team is full then they get shuffled to somewhere else. And having true experts judging vehicles that they know everything about can backfire. That vehicle will get judged more closely than others in the class and that is not fair to that kind of vehicles.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

I guess I would have to forget about what I think about the aftermarket accessories if I were to judge and would be no problem,I just quickly read through the judging guidelines and was wondering if the AACA has a no judging class other then the DPC. If I were to have a all original vehicle it would not be nice enough for judging and do not want to go through any certification process and just display it.

Yes, you would need to put how you feel about aftermarket accessories out of you rmind while judging for the AACA. The rules are in place for the benefit of everyone equally. People want to leave the show field feeling like they had a fair shot the same as the next person. Bending the rules doesn't work on so many levels.

It doesn't mean that you have to change how you feel about the issue, just that you can put those feelings aside to do the job.

HPOF is available as a not judged but certified class for eligible vehicles.

I really think you need to attend a meet and see for yourself what the AACA is all about. You don't have to have a vehicle at all. All you have to have is a willingness to accept how we do what we do for our members and their vehicles.