68 Riviera front coil springs

drbob78

I'm rebuilding the front suspension on my 68 Riviera GS. Seems like Eaton would be the best supplier for the coils. When I talked with them the springs available were: For Riv. with AC, for Riv. without AC, HD. If the car has HD suspension and is equipped with AC where do I go???????

Original Parts Group also lists: HD, with AC, w/o AC. Their with AC are more expensive than their HD springs. Does this make sense.

Have any of you rebuilt the suspension on a 68 Riviera? Can I do it without getting killed by the coils???????????

Thinking of using Kanter's rebuild kit. Any experience with their products????

Bob

I'm sure someone will post with opposite an opinion but here is my experience and you can take it for what its worth. Any time I have ever restored a Riv GS I do not replace the coil springs. Many years ago I had a terrible experience trying to get the correct springs for my 67 GS W/A/C and was so disgusted I gave up. The suppliers promise they are correct but they were not. I will admit I was not aware of Eaton at the time. "Supposedly" they are one of the more reliable suppliers.

Even today I am not convinced beyond any doubt that the correct springs are made for the 66-70 GS. I know some will say they have replaced them and got the correct springs but that info is typically based on feeling and little fact at least from what I've seen. I could be wrong. I know I tend to be more anal than most when it comes to minute details. Unless I see the actual specs from GM for the HD w/A/C spring and see a manufacturing spec from a supplier that matches I'm going to be a tough sell on this. Afterall, how do we know for sure even if they promise they are correct. Bottom line is there are many factors can affect ride height not to mention the spring rate and really, it's beyond what we as hobbiests are capable of determining with any accuracy.

I'm doing a body off on a 66 GS and it carries the original springs and thats what I'm keeping.

I'm curious what makes you think you need new springs? You may want to check the height based on the shop manual. Remember accumulations of dirt can add considerable weight and cause sag. Also the rubber insulators on top of the springs get flattened out and ad a bit of sag.

I know for a fact the wire diameter used on HD GS springs are different than standard and guess the ones for A/C are as well. So, if you do buy new springs, carefully measure the wire diameter of your originals with a micrometer and insure the new spring wire diameter matches exactly with the same number of turns. That should at least get you close. You may need to measure the spring in 3-4 different places and take an average depending how must surface rust is on them.

Jason, Thank you for the reply and information. The current springs have had spacers (rubber or rubber coated) installed in the front coil springs leading me to think they had sagging problems. The rubber on these spacers is disintegrating. Seems reasonable to replace as long as things are apart. (I'm originally from Easton, PA)

Bob

Tijeras, NM

Jason, Thank you for the reply and information. The current springs have had spacers (rubber or rubber coated) installed in the front coil springs leading me to think they had sagging problems. The rubber on these spacers is disintegrating. Seems reasonable to replace as long as things are apart. (I'm originally from Easton, PA)

Bob

Tijeras, NM

Bob,

Coil spring spacers seemed really popular in the late 70s and 80s maybe because there was so many big boats on the road maxing out the coil springs effectiveness. Some people tended to load their car down and needed some extra height. I wouldn't automatically assume they were installed due to sagging especially with the HD springs.

Kanter is a very reputable company with great service including after the sell. Their kits offer convenience but sometimes are not all inclusive depending how far you are going. Look carefully at what all is offered in the kit and go from there. If its everything you want and nothing you don't want then its much easier to do one stop shopping. Otherwise the pieces can be purchased individually from various suppliers and you can save a few bucks in the process but your time to source the parts may not be worth it.