Another 63 Riv turn signal question

Guest mkellygto

Guest mkellygto

Just bought a 63 and picked up this past weekend. Inop signals and brake lights. Troubleshot to a MISSING turn signal switch. Found the attaching hardware on the floor. I'm being told by a fellow that sells NOS switches that there is an early and a late version of the switch, and they are NOT interchangable. SInce my switch is awol, I can't reference a part number. The build date on the car is 3rd week of Jan, which to me is middle of the road. I want to be sure of the switch I need before paying big bucks and getting the wrong part. Are there 2 different types?

Thanks...

I don't know about the late and early switch, but there could be a difference from tilt to non tilt columns or to a cornering lamp switch to non cornering light turn signal switch. Jim Cannon is very good with these cars and will probably answer quickly, too.

Tim

Yes, all tilt column switches are the same, different from non-tilt column switches. I am not aware of an early and a late '63 switch for tilt. There was a change to the wiring harness on these cars in mid model year, but not the switch itself that I know of. There was an early and late actuator cable.

I do not have access to my '63 Buick Master Parts Book right now (on the road on business). If you can wait until Thursday p.m. I can confirm the part number(s) listed there for you for turn signal switch. Or perhaps Ed can look it up for us on the CD that he has of the '63 Master Parts Book.

Guest mkellygto

Jim, Thanks for the reply. I can certainly wait until Thursday. I don't want to rush into locating an incorrect part. This is truly going to be fun working on this beautiful car. It's a 33,000 mile original that's been in garage storage since 1983. Bronze Mist over Saddle leather, wire caps, A|C, Guide-Matic, AM Wonderbar. I cleaned it up this past weekend and I'm excited with the results so far.

• 1 month later...
Guest RivieraBear

Hey Gents...did you ever get any part number info? I've got a '63, tilt, no cornering lamps. cancels only on left turns, not on right....can one buy a new one? I'm looking at other posts so may find an answer there.

Thanks!

Jim...did you receive the plane ticket I sent for your trip to Italy?

This may sound like a silly question, but has the steering wheel ever been removed? The turn signals are cancelled by a roll pin pressed into the back side of the steering wheel. The wheel has to be aligned on the shaft so that this pin will contact the switches and cancel their activation when the wheel is turned back to canter. If this pin (and the wheel itself) isn't aligned properly between the left and right cancellation points, the pin may not be contacting the proper point to cancel the signal on the wheel's return to center. As one side cancels and the other doesn't, this may be a part or all of the problem.

Has anyone had any luck , or experiance, putting an aftermarket steering column in these cars ? There seems to be quite a few vendors out there with all levels of columns , do any of them retrofit nicely into the Rivs ? Seems it would solve a few of the issues at hand.:confused:

Take a look at the switch on top of the column that controls the turn signals and over rides the brake lights then ask again about retrofitting an aftermarket column. As far as I know, no one has retrofit a column unless they've completely redone the entire wiring harness with something like Ron Francis would provide.

Ed

I guess I will have to do the groundwork for this as that is the avenue I am going down . Ron Francis is what I am using for the wiring part of this rebuild and with a few measurements I can get a new column . I will take notes and pass on what I come up with !!

Guys,

Most of the aftermarket columns are based on the 69 and up GM columns which included the lock cylinder on the column. They do use the same turn signal switches and internal hardware, so replacement parts are a breeze. This does however, equate to a much larger diameter of the column than the first generation Riviera's used. You would have to modify the mounting bracket, floor plate and wiring harness to make it work. Not much work really if you have some fabrication experience, but I would STAY AWAY FROM MODIFING YOUR STEERING SYSTEM IF YOU DON"T! Steering is a rather important part of the cars control system!

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
Just bought a 63 and picked up this past weekend. Inop signals and brake lights. Troubleshot to a MISSING turn signal switch. Found the attaching hardware on the floor. I'm being told by a fellow that sells NOS switches that there is an early and a late version of the switch, and they are NOT interchangable. SInce my switch is awol, I can't reference a part number. The build date on the car is 3rd week of Jan, which to me is middle of the road. I want to be sure of the switch I need before paying big bucks and getting the wrong part. Are there 2 different types?

Thanks...

I just learned that there were 4 different turn signal switches used in '63:

Non-tilt and tilt versions each came in 2 types.

The tilt column switch can have part number 1993600 (first type with steering column wall thickness 0.065" thick) or 1993621 (second type with steering column wall thickness 0.095" thick). I don't know when the column wall thickness changed. With your build date, I would bet you need the second type.

The non-tilt column without cornering lights is 579500 (same as many older GM vehicles), The non-tilt with cornering lights used switch 1993603.

Guest Dantana

Hello guys, I have a 1963 that is a little different. Deluxe interior in a spruce green out of a 1965 Rivi. including a 65 steering wheel.

A. How do I get the wheel off? Its doesnt seem to have screws like the 63/34.

B. The turn signal works fine right but not left.

Thank you.

Hello guys, I have a 1963 that is a little different. Deluxe interior in a spruce green out of a 1965 Rivi. including a 65 steering wheel.

A. How do I get the wheel off? Its doesnt seem to have screws like the 63/34.

B. The turn signal works fine right but not left.

Thank you.

"A" I don't know about.

For "B", you have a broken turn signal actuating cable. The outer housing has broken away from the metal clip at one end (either down at the switch or up in the steering column "head").

These cables are impossible to find new. Try to get a good used one from a parts car.

Guest Dantana

The steering wheel comes off via 4 screws on the back of the wheel, they are inside of the holes and hide themselves well. Easy enough once you find them.