Kid in a candy store...

RoadsterRich

I am curious, is it just me or is there a general sense of infectious excitement when someone first really gets in to restoring cars? Or better yet is it a permanent excitment? I cannot recall being this enthused about anything in a very long time. By AACA standards I guess I'm a kid anyways wink.gif" border="0 being 40 (for a few more weeks). I have been many places and done many things in my life. Some were very exciting, others are better lost in distant memories. Few things compare to the excitement everytime I get a step closer to hearing the ole car run for the first time in over 30 years. Sure hope I'm not alone, and glad you folks tolerate us yungin's so well. <P>25+ years ago I worked on cars with my father, well actually mostly I gofered, except for the wiring. I did all the wiring, Dad's color blind. Now all these years later, Dad drops in and sits and watches, and does the ocassional gofering. Now I know what all those muffled sounds were under his breath grin.gif" border="0 Well, hope to hear from others, I sure would like to know I'm not alone in the excitement. I hope others have some great memories of times gone by as well.<P>Thanks to all for this great place to share, and learn...<P>Rich<BR><A HREF=http://www.1930Chrysler77.com>http://www.1930Chrysler77.com</A><BR>Member AACA, WPCC

Guest rcirilli

Glad to see you've joined the hobby. You will get a lot of enjoyment from it and most of all meet some of the best people on earth. And that's the best part. Welcome.

Roadster Rich, I am impressed with your enthusiasm. Being a few years older I've also gone through some phases - book collecting, camera collecting, SCUBA diving and ship artifact collecting. Unfortunately, for many years while in the Army, I really could not have an old car. We got Betsy, our '34 Chev the month I left the Army, joined AACA and a few other clubs, and have never looked back. It is an exciting hobby and the people you meet are for the most part incredible. wink.gif" border="0

Ron,<P>Interesting list of 'phases'. I started out with antique radio collecting, and stuck solely with it until I moved in to the antique car last year. I have sold or traded off most of my overly large collection of radios (I still have some 200+ Radios, 100+ pieces of vintage test equipment, 5000+ manuals/books and 100,000+ tubes, guess the obsessive enthusiasm has been around awhile). I still get a thrill out of restoring a radio, however; there is just something uniquely different with the cars. I have a minor in Anthropology (specifically Archaeology), perhaps there is some tie in the passion for old things. Then again I love antiques, I really need a much bigger house. I did not realize just how large the 1930 Chrysler 77 was until it was parked next to a 96 Dodge Grand Caravan, it made the Caravan look small, though physically the Roadster is about the same length and height, even the weight is similar I think. Well it is lunch hour, the work phones have died down so I am off to work on the car for an hour or so.<P>Rich

Roadster Rich (saw your website - loved the car)from my own experience the excitment may never go away! Not much older than you (44), but got interested in the hobby when I was 16 when pop told me I could pull the old 31' out of the barn that he had purchsed in 1957 (to make into a custom) but he never got to it. Unbelivable the help and support I received from members in AACA at that time for a youngster in restoring his car. I eventually was able to receive my senior award. Well, tucked the car away in storage for ten years or so for more important priorities such as a family. I would always still get that rush when seeing another rusty "diamond in the rough".<BR>Fast forward to this summer - pulled the car out of storage , but now I have a 2 daughters who really enjoy the car. What a smile of their faces they had riding in the rumble seat! I am relizing now, more than I did 25 years ago, it was not necessarly the challange of the car but the people made the difference. From individuals offering "I have an extra one of those you can have" to others offering insight when researching how the cars were assembled & oh yes - repaired. Even today after my hiatus, I have met some wonderful hobbymates (thanks Ron for all your help! hvs-thanks for your helpful responses) that make me look forward towards the coming year and meeting new friends.<BR>Unfortunatly, I have lost several of those "mentors" I knew from my younger days and they are surely missed by my wife and I, but others still remain - and if I find out that you can't get a car out to go to a show - I have an empty seat for you on my next trip if you'll ride shotgun.<BR>I am looking forward to my next "ground up" (whatever it may be) with all the work and learning involved, but also new friends to share the experience with. Hopefully infectious excitement will never go away since that is the thread that keeps the hobby alive! grin.gif" border="0