need info on my Dodge WF-32

Guest jkrantz

Guest jkrantz

Hey Folks,

I just bought a cool old Dodge stake body pickup and wanted to learn more about it. The ID plate says: SN is 81352233, Model WF-32, GVWR 13,500 and 95 hp at 3600 rpm. The motor ID plate says Mopar model 254. Also on the driver's side of the motor is: 1138129-6 to the right of the distributor, and E-22 to the left.

What year is it? And what size (one ton, one and half ton, etc) is it? I hope to restore the exterior first for nostalgic display in front of my business (old lumber mfg) and then maybe get it runnin in the future. What source for parts is there for these?

Thanks!

Jimmy Krantz

Austin, TX

post-70958-143138329182_thumb.jpg

post-70958-143138329201_thumb.jpg

post-70958-143138329217_thumb.jpg

post-70958-143138329233_thumb.jpg

Edited by jkrantz
addtl info postedc (see edit history)

Guest Richie09

Hi Jimmy, The listings I have from the 39-47Dodge Trucks on the Yahoo Group (I have lost their web address but gooogle them and it will come up) Shows that it is 1946 WF 32/34/36 1.5 ton, four wheel bases 126/135/160/190 (the serial number falls in Detroit made, the other serial numbers are LosAngeles made).

Now that engine plate is interesting because I have never seen one like that but look on a raised pad, on the block, driver side just under the head gasket seam at the very front of the engine (you may need to wire brush that pad, numbers are stamped in). That is the number that should ID the engine. Correct number should be T118-xxxx...., if it is not there and has been ground off its probably been rebuilt, something they used to do back then and then you have to do more research to find out what it is, possibly with the casting number you have there.

Under the notes it says it should be 236 engine; includes WFA...I cannot find what WFA is a reference to though.

Hope this helps, Richie

Guest jkrantz
I believe WF-32 would be somewhere in the 1946-1948 range.

Thank you for the help. It's like unraveling a mystery with this old girl.

Jimmy

The same model number seems to appear in the list as beginning production in September 1940, 1941, April 1944 and October 1945. In other words was produced for at least 5 years.

It could be military or civilian but if it were military it would have ID plates and instruction plates on the instrument panel and other mil spec features. So it is probably a civilian model.

The serial number places it after April 1944 and probably after October 1945 in other words, most likely a 1946 model. This model continued practically unchanged until they brought out an all new model for 1949.

Many parts such as brakes, fan belts, spark plugs, gaskets etc can be bought from your local NAPA store or any old line parts store. You need to find a dusty old parts store with an old gray haired or bald headed parts man. The place where all the farmers shop. Not a bright new shiny place with a kid behind the counter with purple hair and a snot ring. The parts are available thru normal channels if you know how to order them.

Another good source of info and parts is Vintage Power Wagons-- Your Source for Dodge Power Wagon Parts and Trucks! -- civilian military m 37, m-37 wc Dodge Power Wagon. They specialize in parts for the 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagons that were widely used in WW2 and later. The motors, bodies etc are very much like your truck and a lot of the parts interchange. They are also very knowledgeable about old Dodge trucks and their quirks.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jkrantz

Dear fellas,

Thanks for the great help. Looks like 1946 and post war. I was kinda hoping 1939 pre war to add to the aura. Oh well.

Thanks again!

Jimmy

• 1 month later...
Guest firewildlander

from my reserch on trucks built dureing ww 2 the military was first than the farmers and truckers came next to get new trucks. i have a 1944 that is the exact same truck pictured. i would guess 42 to 47 body styles where the same.

From early 1942 until 1945 cars and trucks were rationed and not generally available. In other words you could not go to a dealership and just buy a car or truck. They were rationed out to essential users. This could include doctors who needed a car to make house calls, or farmers whose work was essential to the war effort. I know of a veterinarian who got a new car at this time. His job was considered essential as horses were very important to farming then, especially since gas, trucks and tractors were in short supply.