old family Buick Stories

JohnD1956

Looking at the pics on this thread: http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1959-buick-invicta-convertible-sale-290898.html reminds me of when I was 9 years old. Our next door neighbors had a white 59 Invicta convertible with a red interior and I was always in awe of it. One day Dad took the 55 to the local dealers for something, and while waiting we were in the showroom where there was a black 59 Invicta convertible, with a red interior, just like this car. Naturally I began to pester Dad about buying the car.

There was a salesman there who apparently chided my dad about it too. Dad took the razing and then all of a sudden he offered a low ball figure for the car. Of course I thought Dad's offer was very generous, but the salesman protested, and then I thought the salesman was a moron for not taking the offer. But Dad never intended to buy that thing, he just wanted to kill two birds with one stone, and managed to do so.

Probably best off that way. Otherwise I never would have had the opportunity to learn to drive on the 55 Stick shift.:D