Clips to hold the trim on a 56?

Guest gunjeep444

Guest gunjeep444

I plan to get my 56 repainted, probably next month. Where is a good source for the clips that hold on the chrome/stainless trim? Not sure what I need.

Jerry,

When you take the moldings off, you are going to have to basically make a list of all of the clips you need and then order them from a place like: Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc.

There is not any place I know that sells a "kit" (remember, we ain't restoring Chevys).

Your windshield and back glass clips will need to be reused.

Side molding clips are pretty much universal in that there is a range of stainless they will fit i.e. 3/4" to 1" range.

Guest NikeAjax

Jerry, are you going to remove ALL the chrome? It's kind of a pain but it looks so much better when you do: I even removed the hood and rear deck lid. Are you going to do it yourself or have someone else do it? Are you going to change the color?

Jaybird

I'm sure you already know this but if you are going to remove all the chrome, watch out for the top piece over the windshield. I believe it is under the glass and the windshield has to come out to get it off.

These clips are on ebay right now Item No. 130443997637. They are the same as the ones holding the stainless trim on the rear windshield of my 56 Special. From what I learned, there was a number of different styles of clip used for the 55-56 Buicks and these one are the only type that I could find. They must be fitted with the glass removed from the car.

Koala

Guest NikeAjax

Mike, the COLOR of a TIRE is black:rolleyes: (colour, tyre) But if I lived in the east, I might say cullah, tieyah, an' drink regalah quawfee! (regular coffee) Sorry:D

Yeah, what can you expect from a smarty jaybird

image_preview

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks. I was looking for the clips that hold the side molding anyway, but can't seem to find it.

Colors will be a cream roof, coral, then cream again down below.

Anyone have fender skirts for a 56 roadmaster?

Guest NikeAjax

Jerry, I was hoping you'd choose the coral! WARNING: people will really notice your car with that color. I remember once watching a guy walk into a pole as he had his head turned to check out my car, it was like something from Happy Days.

Jaybird

Guest gunjeep444

Thanks for the info. I started removing the trim. Finding out more about the car as I go along. Sure glad it's complete. Guess I'll re-paint all the interior pieces I'm pulling out. Dash needs it also. Might get to that heater core and yank the radio, when I get the dash pad off. Once it is painted I can see it will be a month or two getting it all back together. I'm labeling/bagging everything.

post-67843-143138337614_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138337616_thumb.jpg

Guest gunjeep444

Got the tail lights off, trunk cleared out and back seat out. Trunk lid trim off also. Probably take it to him next week for the paint, so need to keep after it. Need to get out the shop vac and clean it out some.

Sorta sore and tired right now though! Spent a couple of hours inside the trunk. Luckily Syl didn't shut the lid!

Guest gunjeep444

Got the bumpers off, front was a bear, rear was not too bad. Plan to call a shop in Lincoln about re-chrome costs. Could haul them down in my pickup. Might as well, while they are off.

post-67843-143138341642_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138341645_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138341648_thumb.jpg

post-67843-143138341651_thumb.jpg