Sign in to follow this  
Steve_Mack_CT

Packard 745 at Hershey

We did an 840 Roadster a few years ago that was in similar though not quite as bad condition. If asked to I would "ballpark" restoring this one at $175-225K, assuming it is fairly complete, for a "Hershey" quality restoration.

Depends on the shop & the level of restoration required. I fixed price at 200k would be a bargain for a very high quality restoration. A Time & materials job and concours quality would easily push this to 300k.

Agree this is a very rare car and opportunity - that would seem to negate price guide, but pretty limited market as well. I would say she is as lucky to sell at $45K as someone would be to buy for the #6 price. The car is probably worth 45 large to someone but I think it went home with her...

True on the won't grow back, when leather is dead, it's dead for good......

And I agree that a fixed price to restore of 200K would be a bargain. That car is a heap of work, though, first thing to do on the body would be strip the metal off, and make a trip to the lumberyard.......

Worthwhile project though, beautiful cars when done.

I was at a Grand Classic, CCCA event, many years ago, in Corpus Christi Texas. While there was a nice attendance of cars, it wasn't a great attendance. Jerry Moore of Houston was there, saw that there were holes to be filled in the display area (which was inside the basement of a hotel), and called back to Houston, "Bring a truckload of 745's."

What showed up was a truck with 5 or 6 perfect 745 roadsters, each done in different colors. What a sight.

It was at this event that the owner of an early Rolls Royce drove out of the 70 degree basement, into the 100 degree heat of Texas. I happened to be standing next to the car outside, when we thought we heard the sound of popcorn popping. Looked over, and the beautiful paint job on the aluminum cowl was just popping apart. Seems the aluminum expanded a lot quicker in the heat than the paint did!!

Who said anything about a fixed price? I have heard similar stories about Mr. Moore. Apparently quite a character.

I realize this is a very old post but I'm willing to bet many folks will remember this car sitting in shambles on the edge of the red field @ Hershey in 2010- I certainly do. Did anyone ever do anything with it? Would love to know if someone made a go of the project.

It's a Packard 745 Roadster in restorable condition (actually not that bad of restorable condition even though it needs everything) - it will not hang around long before it finds a new owner and not too far from the asking price.  Keep in mind that some things are better and a 745 is one of them. 

Love the Martin tires - when did they stop making those = perhaps around 1968ish ?   And did Martin become Lincoln, that became Lester ? 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Also, notice the radiator shell appears 745, though the radiator does not via alignment of the necks for the radiator hoses. 

• Like 1

Good news - it appears to have a partial wood kit laying under/on the car - even if you had to redo it is certainly better than having nothing. 

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

It's a Packard 745 Roadster in restorable condition (actually not that bad of restorable condition even though it needs everything) - it will not hang around long before it finds a new owner and not too far from the asking price.  Keep in mind that some things are better and a 745 is one of them. 

Love the Martin tires - when did they stop making those = perhaps around 1968ish ?   And did Martin become Lincoln, that became Lester ? 

John-this is an old post from 9 yrs ago. I was just wondering if anyone knew what ever became of the car.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, md murray said:

John-this is an old post from 9 yrs ago. I was just wondering if anyone knew what ever became of the car.

When you mentioned old post - I think it is in Indiana being restored.  Update:  Told not Indiana but it went out to West Coast - or at least they thought it did.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sidenote:  I have seen several 645, 745, and 845 cars come on the market recently and they are a substantial challenge to restore today - much more so than in the 1970's, 80's, and 90's when there were a larger volume being done and out on the road. I have torn my hair out on many a Packard part that I would not have given the slighted thought to a few years ago.  On the flip side of the coin, there are some pluses today in parts too - example reproduction carburetors (which by the way are like night and day in fabulous when I have installed on on a car).  

A good friend called this week and was tearing his hair out regarding a 1931 Bijur tank fitting that technically should not be hard to find, though ... 

• Like 1

I was exhausted just looking at the work but I will say the car was at least complete in the sense it was assembled.  John's concern over little parts might be worse with a basket case car.  Today, one is less likely to turn a marginal sedan for parts, another factor of time.  Those big 29- 31 Packards though, are what comes to my mind if one says CCCA.