1927 Start-up Questions

I am an AACA/DB club member helping a widow start this car and prepare it for resale.

I *think* I know all the right fluid vicosities (30W non-detergent oil, 600W for tranny and rear end) but what I don't know is how to check for the proper level for all three.

Any markings on the tranny case? Is the rear end like my DB where you have two bolts (high for filling and when the oil comes out the low bolt hole it is at the correct level)?

Thanks in advance,

I have a 1924 Willys Knight and just fill to the top of the fill hole. I think you would do best using 40 wt oil as the Knight engine tends to smoke some by design. Add about a 1/4 cup of oil down each of the spark plug holes to gain compression on initial start ( 1 cup total). Mine smoked like crazy when I first started it after a long sleep but settled down after a few warming cycles. You don't need to worry about carbon because the Knight loves the stuff.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Just one more little thing. After adding oil in the spark plug holes, turn the engine over with the hand crank about 12 revolutions. Fill the vacuum tank with about a pint of gas, open the gas valve at the bottom of the tank. Set the spark about half way, pull out the choke and turn on the ignition switch. Depress the foot starter button on the toe board and watch the ampmeter for movement. I, too have 2 W/Ks, a 1924 Roadster Pickup and a 1923 3dr Sedan. Could you possibly post a pic of this car that you are going to start?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...