1963 Olds Jetfire Re-restoration- Turbo charged/Fluid injection

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Carburetor arrived last week! Installed the radiator, alternator, and turbo assembly. A lot of lines to hook up and hoses. Still have a few more days before I try to start it. Should be running after Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all,

Ken

DSC05873_zpsgin4pfgh.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have a 215 Olds never been run engine with  the turbo but it is completely different. The intake manifold has a raised rib with grommets/seals where every rod or line passes through it and a pressure box that fits over the whole intake. Maybe an earlier version? One extra set of Olds heads and two sets of Buick heads, standard bell housing and 3sp trans. A two bbl intake and a 4bbl intake but can't remember if Olds or Buick. Maybe a Buick block. If I sound vague I haven't even seen any of them since the mid 70's but they are still in our house in town as the garage is off limit to the renter. May even have a couple things here at the country place. I was going to have something different in my 34 Chevy coupe but gave in and went with a sbc. I guess you know that Rover kept producing this engine until fairly recently.

• 1 month later...

I have a lot of stories about this car. Getting some of the parts cars was a real challenge. Parted out 8 different Olds Jetfires and Cutlasses, some for just a couple of items. I have a real good story I will save for a later date. Installed the hood on the car today and will post a few photos on Monday. One very cool story is where the motor came from. Received a call from a guy selling a Jetfire engine. He had a complete running motor. We talked about what kind of car he had it in. He explained it was not in a car but a tractor. Thought this is was odd so I asked why? It was in a tractor pull tractor. He could out pull all the tractors in the area but not one guy. His only option was small block Chevy to compete and that was why he was selling it. I took a chance and it was and is one sweet running motor. When I sold the car the first time a good friend want to take it for a test drive. He owned one new and now the car was 20 years old. He and my dad took it out and when they got back my father said I drove it like a girl! He said Clint was able to get rubber in all four gears. It was quick in 1987 and I expect it to be better. Have a 3:36 posi on the work bench to clean up before I install it!! I will get the next story ready in a few weeks.
Ken

Edited by kid442 (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just put 110 miles on the car in the last week. Runs great. Had the muffler shop install a Waldron's exhaust system I purchased. Four hours later and a bunch of $$$ but came out great. Still have a few gaskets more and a bunch of other items but the list is getting shorter.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Edited by kid442 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Quick update. Painted the wheels white. I think it's a big improvement! New wheels and tires are for this winter. Not sure what we may do. Change to 5 lug or order custom wheels. For now drive the wheels off of it.

DSC06409.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
OK here is the latest update. Just installed a posi rear new shocks and 1/2" lowering springs. The rear is from a 1961 Buick Special and there were a bunch of changes made the Job much harder than needed. A little farmer engineering and its in. Going to get the car to the Hershey AACA car show this Oct.

DSC06506.JPG

DSC06510.JPG

• 1 month later...
Hershey update
Made the first Hershey with the Jetfire. It was a blast!! Had judges stopping all day thanking us for bringing the car. Few hundred people stopped also. Most had never seen one before. The car was a big hit! I will let you know how we made out with the judging. Takes a few weeks but the car is not done. Drove over 600 miles no problem! Had a few people stop that had been following the progress on the AACA website blog I have going.
Thanks to all
Ken

U8Cg65A.jpg
MGj5K14.jpg
8rH0DdW.jpg