85 climate control and fuel gauge issues

KS854EZ57

I've got an '85 coupe with the 307 4 barrel in it. It also has automatic climate control. When I first got the car nearly two years ago, I had no problems with the climate control. Then it started flashing on the different mode settings. I had a shop diagnosis the problem as needing a replacement heater control valve actuator. I finally found a used one in Texas (a long story for some other time) and had it and a new valve installed in April of this year. A bit later, the temperature settings began to flash. This time the diagnosis was a temp door actuator. I was lucky and Vintage Parts had one of these. I had it installed in May. Everything was OK until last weekend when I turned on the AC and now the mode indicator is flashing again on all buttons, even the off one. I took off the used Texas actuator and put on one that Ed Raner had given me. The mode indicator is still flashing on all settings. Does anyone have any ideas?

Now about the digital fuel gauge. Again no problems with it until I filled up a few days ago. Instead of reading "F" (Full) as it had always done before and for a bit after filling up this time, I'm getting two "dashes" in the indicator area. It does flash from the dashes to F when I am about to stop, stopped, making a turn or parked on an incline. The owner's manual mentionsl something about an open circuit. Any ideas on this one?

Bruce W.

Bruce, the LEDS flashing tell a story of what's wrong with the climate control system. You'd have to follow the diagnosis in the service manual to see what the flashes are telling you what componet is malfunctioning.

My 84 T-type /w a digital dash has a similar -- flash on the fuel display at certain times. This only happened after the fuel pump was replaced. I was told that during removal of the pump/sending unit the unit was damaged where it reads how much fuel is in it. There isn't any way of fixing this unless you put a new fuel sending unit in - and that aren't available -- and no one rebuilds the ones for the digital dash car. Basically the Potentiometer part that reads the fuel level has contacts that aren't making a good contact.

I also have an 85 with the same problems,when its full I get the dashes and when it gets down to 3 gallons I'm out of gas.I've just learned to live with it.I've also been looking for that heater control valve actuator for years,can you hook me up with the guy where you got yours?

• 7 months later...

The climate control has been working since the contacts were cleaned and the fuel gauge straightened itself out as the amount in the tank dropped some and I started getting the numerical readings again, although they fluctuate quite a bit with the position of the car.

Bruce W.