alittle sputter

Don Hudd

it has happened twice now, I do have a check engine light that is the o2 sensor, before I put a new one on, at about 50mph it started to act like needing fuel of something, changed the sensor, seemed ok, now throwing code again for o2 sensor for the last couple days, today same sputter once and ran well before and after, don;t know if I got a bad sensor, am changing it tomorrow, I jiggled the wire to the o2, could not make throw the code, but it did when I drove it. Milage is dropping too. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Don

Guest Mc_Reatta

Mine had similar symptoms earlier this summer. Was running very lean and threw the E044 code intermittently. Would barely run over 50mph.

Changed O2 sensor only marginal improvement.

Call up ECM Data ED07 on the CRT.

Unplug the O2 sensor and with the key in run position look at the reading. It should be between .35 and .55 volts. If not it's the ECM which is what it was in my case.

If it is correct, plug the sensor back in and start the car. Call up ED07 and drive the car and see if the reading varies between .2 and .8 volts. Can also check the cross counts on ED18. Should steadily increase as the voltage crosses .5 volts.

If they are OK problem is elsewhere.

Guest Mc_Reatta

ECM O2 data voltage looks OK. ED18 isn't a voltage display. Displays the number of times the O2 voltage circuit cross back and forth over the .5 volt reference mark. Number should steadily increase as you drive. What display never got above .5 volts? If it was ED07 while driving that is a bad O2 sensor.

MC it was ed18 from reading your earlier post, thought it was for voltage, ed18 nevr got over 50, I looked underneth the car today, looks like pipe might be loose coming into the cat converter, still throws the code saying o2 sensor, just changed it am getting a new one tomorrow, guess I could have gotten a bad 1, it is a bosch

Thanks,

Don

update, have not changed o2 yet but no code today. Padget, I checked ED04 again today, it was 76, don't know what I was looking at the other day, must have been temp gauge. MC ED018 today while driving, was jumping up and down, 45, 50, 35, 48 etc. Was reading post from new owner needs help and he had a bad MAF causing his bucking, mine does not seem as extreme as his but now am wondering about the MAF. Is there a test for it?

Thanks again,

Don

a) MAF - not without an oscilloscope but can monitor the output from the dash

B) 76 is about 170F. Maybe the thermostat is stuck open and it is cooling way down on the highway ? I use a Stant "SuperStat" 180F and usually runs 179-181F within a few minutes and stays there.

Guest Mc_Reatta

FSM says ED18 displays the number of times the O2 voltage crosses the reference value each second. I think each minute is more like it. You can watch the triangle on the ECM data display turn on and off and about once a second seems pretty normal. Maybe the data is read that quickly, but the display is updated more slowly.

Anyway, I don't think the O2 sensor is your problem.