'16 stewart speedo help

Guest Roger_Roy

Guest Roger_Roy

Hi,

Finally got a speedo for the '16 but now some questions. the plate that goes on the front of the dash , anything special or just a plate cut to fit? I dont have one so i guess ill make it.

What goes on the cable drive ? looks like a gear on the bottom of the speedo? a photo of what Im looking for would be great.

Id like a look inside ,do i remove the nickel plated rim to peek inside?

Thanks twist or tap off?

Roger

post-56987-14313832487_thumb.jpg

Roger,

You are lucky to find one with the knob at the upper right. There are several different sizes. You will need to know the number of teeth, diameter, etc for your car. Stewart used a numbering system to match sizes with the wheel size, but I do not have that chart....

post-41092-143138324898_thumb.jpg

post-41092-1431383249_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138324904_thumb.jpg

Guest Roger_Roy

thanks for the replies, this is one bit of my puzzle, is this a funky speedo drive or is there a gear/angle drive that goes on here?

post-56987-143138325514_thumb.jpg

Guest Roger_Roy
Yes, the angle drive attaches there.... You might check with old motorcycle parts suppliers as they too used these.

grrr more little bits to find, :confused: I guess this was a 1:1 drive? now the trip reset, its floppy as, is it supported by some bracket or am i about to rebush it ? and how do you use it in the car? do you slide it in to engage and roll it in the one motion or? as im making the front plate ill need to allow for sliding but also maybe support to stop it flopping about (or wearing out my nice new bush if thats the go)

thanks

Roger

The one in my 1915 looks like the one in the photo Leif posted. The drive on my 15 is on more of a 45 degree angle. These are hard to find as they are made of pot metal and crack and crumble easily. Researching for the correct speedometer for my car, as it was missing when I got it, the black face Stewart with the knob on the upper right was correct for the earlier cars. If I remember correctly, the white face speedometer was not used until the 20's. Dandy Dave!