no power to trunk key lock

Guest Rockin Reatta

Guest Rockin Reatta

Thanks to Jim Finn I have a working lock cylinder. But, I have no power going to that lock ( push button in glove box works ). I have looked at the FSM and the orange wire going to the key lock should be hot all the time, right? Today I am going to pull the center console and see if the wire runs under that, or should I start somewhere else? As I am not sure how the wires are routed through the car.

Thanks for your time and help,

Roger.

Guest Mc_Reatta

That wire runs through 3 splices on its way to the back of the car.

Might as well start at the rear and work forward.

Last one is in the trunk in the right rear near where the lock switch plugs (P402) into the the harness. Look at plug 405 and splice S406 in figures B and C on page 8A 201-21 in the 90 FSM.

If that is OK but no 12 volts present there either, then the most likely culprit is splice S311 which is under the driver's seat. Lots of folks have had problems with the splices in the passenger's compartment due to moisture collecting on the floor and corroding these splices.

Guest Rockin Reatta

Went to pull seats out and the screws are so rusty that when I tried the heads just desintagrated, so I just ran 12v from the light over to the other orange wire going to the key switch. Seems to work pretty good.

Thanks for all the help.

Roger.

Guest Rockin Reatta

Very true, Ronnie. But don't have a good choice if I want the trunk key to work. I did keep an eye on voltages for 2-3 hrs after the hook up though, just to make sure of no immediate problems.

Roger.

Rockin Reatta....... from some of the things said in your post, I imagine you will be a regular here.

The clue is the rusted seat bolts........ under the passanger seat there is a wiring channel. The wires lay in a plastic gutter and it sounds like your car has had water leaking inside.

In the wiring schematic of the trunk release, (orange/black wire) note splice S310 that is in that channel under the seat. That splice also has power going to the power door locks, are you having trouble with them?

There are several other splices in that channel that will need attention.

Guest Rockin Reatta

it may be suprising Barney, but power locks and the power seat work good.I do know I have to get those seat out sometime in the near future. (Just not a job I'm looking forward to). And yes there was some major leaks in the car. Before I got the car someone installed an aftermarket sunroof that leaked like sieve.

Roger

Edited by Rockin Reatta (see edit history)