Sign in to follow this  
rideswithchuck

1955 LaSalle II goes electric

An IMPORTANT worthwhile project, BUT, I what I don't understand is electric conversion. Is he going get the original engine running also? It looks like it has the block, heads, intake, and it's seems that I saw a harmonic balancer (a crankshaft?) and transmission pan. He says that the engine has no internal parts. How much work would be involved in engineering and making con rods and possibly a crank, etc? Someone enlighten me.

I would have to believe- had GM intended this car to run, it would have (as so many of the '50s concepts did), but a totally unique FI, DOHC V6 without internal parts was cast/machined merely to look like a functional engine, withOUT the proper strength/machining/engineering to be converted into an operational engine. If it was a -say- V-8 based on a Cadillac block, one would assume a production block was used, internal parts or no. But there were NO V-6s in 1955, and this time, GM apparently did not 'OK' designing & building 2 unprecedented engines for some soon-obsolete dream cars.

This video is the first installment on this project. There has since been an updated video.

You might take a look at some of my other stuff on "rideswithchuck".