What Wheels to Use

Guest daytonreatta

Guest daytonreatta

One of the things I really disliked about the Reatta is the factory wheels. For a car with such graceful lines, those angular blocky wheels seemed out of place, (along with those tacked on fog lights which will be dealt with soon), although the 91 wheels are a bit better. After looking at dozens of aftermarket wheels I came across these Caddy STS wheels which all the advice here indicated would be a good fit. I did like the 17" Lucerne wheels also, but they seemed a bit out of proportion. Adding the window tint and tinting the tail light bar, as well as blacking out the door handles and key cylinders has fixed the few styling issues I have always had. I also added the dual exhaust from a Camaro as well. Of course I have everything to return it to stock if need be.

post-69377-143138320621_thumb.jpg

Those are the exact same wheels we have on my wife's Reatta. I had Reatta center cap centers cut down to put in the middle. We liked them so well I picked up another set and they are now on my son's black '89. Looks identical to your car.

The 7 spoke cads are p/n 9592894. They appear to be the same p/n either polished (SLS) or chrome (STS) and 16x7x51mm. A standard GM 2 1/4" push-in center cap is used.

Picked up a set a few weeks ago but have not decided if I like them (matter of personal taste, I prefer lace or 5 spoke wheels).

Was a lot of discussion about these earlier.

Agree, stock wheels are too small and look too much like a 1927 Bugatti wheel that I never liked either.

Guest daytonreatta

Yes, I had been looking at some aftermarket KMC Slide 5 spokes, but then I saw these on craigslist with the Michelins for $100.00 and couldn't pass them up.

Tell me you paid $100.00 each for those w/tires. I thought I did great at $90.00 each delivered [i had to buy the tires]. Mine had the Buick cehtercaps. All I did was paint the Buick Tri shield the Buick colors.

I think they are the best looking rims ever for the Reatta and if Jim put them on his cars then we all did right.lol

Guest daytonreatta

Sorry, I paid $100.00 for all 4. I did have to pull them from a wrecked Pontiac that someone put them on, but they are in near perfect condition with good Michelins on them as well. I have found some Buick center caps that will set me back another $20.00 though.

Guest daytonreatta

The Michelins are 205/60/16s, which from what I see, happen to be the correct size to keep the diameter of the originals intact.

Guest daytonreatta

In case anyone is not aware of it, I use allofcraigs.com which allows you to search all craigslist listings at once. It ended up that the wheels I found were local and the owner was willing to deal.

I have recieved more then one request for additional info on my wheels, in particular the center caps.

The wheel is off a Buick. However as I/we have learned more then one G.M. company used the wheel. We know for sure that both Cadillac and Buick used that wheel in both chrome and painted.

Regarding the center cap. The make and model I used was 2004 Buick LeSabre. If one was to go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and entered 2004 Buick Lesabre wheels w/picture USA you will get a listing of what wheels are available. Once you determine the wheels click on that wheel and you will get a list of what yards have the wheels. If you scroll towards the end of the listings you will see center caps offered. It looks like the 16x6.5 and the 16.7 wheels use the same center cap. [However you make your own decision].

There are some available [however without a price as I looked].

One other thing to be aware of. The trishield on my centercaps came UNPAINTED. I painted them using nail polish. I did that as my daughter was there and the polish comes with a brush made for small areas and I figured nail polish would leave a nice solid film and be tough as well as etch itself into the plastic center cap.

The colors I used are as follows;

Sally Hanson "Barely There" #2 Natual Color

L'oreal "Rouge Fo??" #214

Sinful Colors "Midnight Blue" #105

I have no idea where they came from as I stole them out of my wifes inventory. They are now safely in my Reatta parts inventory for me to use should the need to repaint ever arise again.

Good Luck!

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Hope you have a couch out in the garage you can sleep on once she finds out where her favorite nail polishes went....:mad:

Guest corey wasut

I bought a set from a 98 park ave ultra, i like the look. Those STS wheels do look great (my car is the same colour)

Guest Bill_Boro

I agree that the original wheels are clumsey looking.

I use 16 inch Pontiac basket weaves. Silver & Gold which goes well with the red exterior of my car. They are marked ABS on the center hubs which fits with our brake system. I must use 16 inchers since the the front disc & caliper upgrade.

Also have 16 inch Olds Alero five spokes that look much sportier. I use them without the factory hubcaps and have inserted ferrari prancing stallion center caps from time to time as a cruise night conversation piece.

Guest Mc_Reatta

The outside diameter of your tires should be nearly the same if you get the proper size tires. (SIdewall will be a lot shorter than stock to compensate for the extra 2" of rims.)

From the list I saw, the Caddys are an exact fit for lugs and hub, and all Caddy wheels except Fleetwoods and Escalades had high offset and were interchangable. Didn't find an exact number for that offset anyshere though.