buying new parts

Guest donhess64rivi

Guest donhess64rivi

so im on opgi website and going to get driveshaft support and bearing. i need to know how many bearings to get. also im getting a new radiator and they have two one is a desert and the other is original not sure which one to get. since im going to be pulling the driveshaft again should i change the u joints? if so how many will i need. i have my eyes on some wheels to the are 15's 5 lug 4.5 bolt pattern will these fit the riviera? i know its alot to ask but it will be well appreciated

I assume from your user name that this is for a 1964 Riviera, but it is always a good idea to put the actual year of the car in the post.

There is only 1 center support bearing.

A '64 Riv only has 1 U-joint (in the front, by the transmission) but it has 2 CV-joints. Replace the u-joint, if you want, but don't mess with the CV-joints. Grease them up if they have grease fittings on them. Otherwise leave them alone if they are tight. If they are too loose, rebuild them. (See shop manual.)

Get the "desert radiator", if it is a 4-row core and your car has A/C (or you ever plan to add A/C). More cooling capacity. If it is only a 3-row core, don't bother. Get a custom 4-row core made up with your old tanks.

I don't know anything about aftermarket wheels. Sry.

Guest donhess64rivi

If I have a radiator and it has a small small crack on the top housing would getting it fixed be a good idea. And yes it's a 64 Rivi with a 65 Rivi 401 and trans in it. I guess it's time to buy a book on this car. Do you know the most detailed one to get

If I have a radiator and it has a small small crack on the top housing would getting it fixed be a good idea. And yes it's a 64 Rivi with a 65 Rivi 401 and trans in it. I guess it's time to buy a book on this car. Do you know the most detailed one to get

Take it to a good radiator shop and ask them what can be done with it.

There is a solder joint around the top and bottom tanks. If this is what came apart and is weeping/leaking, they can re-solder the tanks for you quickly.

While the tanks are off, they can rod out the tubes and give you an assessment of the overall condition of the radiator.

If the core is too far gone -- has too many leaks -- (original radiators should be expected to be gone by now) they should be able to get a custom core made up for you. 3-row on non-A/C car and 4-row on an A/C car.

Be sure to use the 5-fin impeller on your waterpump and a shroud if an A/C car (and a thermal activated fan clutch with the little coil on the front face). Non-A/C has none of these.

HTH.

Unless they were custom made, I don't think I've ever run across a 14" wheel with the 5"x5" bolt circle. I also think that a 14" wheel will not clear the Buicks brake drums.

You need to be looking wheels for GM big cars, not intermediates like the Chevelle, GTO, and Skylark. Chevy Impala, Chevy Truck, Pontiac Bonneville, Olds 98, and Cadillacs all have the 5"x5" bolt circle. Some larg Ford cars, not trucks, had the 5"x5" bolt circle as well. A google search should answer this quesiton for you. Your Riviera has a LARGE hub on the front/ axle flange on the rear. Make sure that the center hole in the wheel (register) will go over this hub. Stock 65 and later Buick wheels won't work on a '64. Lots of things to consider.

If you have a '65 engine/trans in your '64, you could best suit your needs by finding BOTH a '64 and a '65 shop manual.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...