info on exported Canadian Pontiacs

Guest Dave41

Guest Dave41

Does anyone know of a good reference book on exported Pontiacs to Australia in the 1950s to late 60s, up to 1957 they were Pontiacs , then 1958 on they were Chev chassis ??????

dave

In the 1950s and 1960s Canadian Pontiacs were very popular, they may have been #1 in some Canadian markets. They used Chevy chassis and drivetrains with bodies that had sheetmetal like U.S. Pontiacs (but not directly interchangable) every year. Interiors were a mix of U.S style Chevy and Pontiac components. I understand U.S Pontiacs were sometimes imported into Canada but taxes and duties made them overpriced compared to Canadian built models.

This practice ran into the late 1960s and eventually encompassed full size, mid size, and compact models. A very good book that has good basic reference on this is "Pontiac, They Built Excitement" by Tom Bonsall from about 1992, listed used on amazon.com. Good luck, Todd C

Guest Dave41

Out here in the Land of OZ in the 30s and 40s we imported real Pontiac chassis and built bodies on them almost identical to US. From 1949 to 1957 we imported CKD real Pontiacs then in 1958 on, all Pontiacs were sitting on Chev chassis

What I want to know is there a book that covers this period of produstion

dave

• 1 month later...
In the 1950s and 1960s Canadian Pontiacs were very popular, they may have been #1 in some Canadian markets. They used Chevy chassis and drivetrains with bodies that had sheetmetal like U.S. Pontiacs (but not directly interchangable) every year. Interiors were a mix of U.S style Chevy and Pontiac components. I understand U.S Pontiacs were sometimes imported into Canada but taxes and duties made them overpriced compared to Canadian built models.

This practice ran into the late 1960s and eventually encompassed full size, mid size, and compact models. A very good book that has good basic reference on this is "Pontiac, They Built Excitement" by Tom Bonsall from about 1992, listed used on amazon.com. Good luck, Todd C

I think you might see Canada Built both Pontiac and Chevrolet longer than thought.

post-70388-143138347668_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Seems New Zealand Pontiacs followed a similar pattern to Oz, except that we did not build our own bodies as the Oz import restrictions required. We had US built cars imported mostly CKD from 1926-30 and 1935-39. Then nothing until 1959 when Canadian-built cars began to be imported, again mostly CKD for local assembly. These were all Laurentian 4 door sedans. Sixes in 1959 and then 283 V8s from then on. Small numbers of wagons and Parisienne hardtops came in built up. As far as I know the last car came in in 1969 - which co-incided with the introduction of V8 models from GMH in Oz. Total imports over that last ten years amounted to about 1000 units.

There is a lot of relevant info here - THE INTERNATIONAL GENERAL MOTORS HISTORICAL SITE

David Hayward is keen on odd export GM stuff.