JDRiv

'63 Turn Signal Switch

The cornering lights are in the same housing as the turn signals; Buick only made one lamp housing and one grill.  There's a hole in the housing that angles towards the outside of the car.  If your car was equipped with optional cornering lights, there will be a socket of some kind in that hole.  If it wasn't equipped with the optional cornering lights, Buick put a plastic plug into that hole.  You should look for the plug, or if the plug has aged and become brittle, you'll just have a hole there.

Ed

OK guys, I was looking through my new OPGI Chevelle catalog that I get because I have a 70 Chevelle SS396, and I noticed that they are selling reproduction tilt column turn signal cables for the 64-66 Chevelle. In the picture it looks just like the

pics I've seen of the first gen Riviera cables. I'm wondering if it would fit our cars. I would think it might if the length is the same. I'm wondering if one of you out there that has your car apart right now could measure the length of your factory cable and also post a pic of it so I can compare it to the pic in the Chevelle catalog to make sure that the end brackets are the same.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

On 13.4.2016 at 3:34 PM, RivNut said:

The cornering lights are in the same housing as the turn signals; Buick only made one lamp housing and one grill.  There's a hole in the housing that angles towards the outside of the car.  If your car was equipped with optional cornering lights, there will be a socket of some kind in that hole.  If it wasn't equipped with the optional cornering lights, Buick put a plastic plug into that hole.  You should look for the plug, or if the plug has aged and become brittle, you'll just have a hole there.

Ed

Thanx Ed! I found them, - no cornering lights in my car. Just plugs filling the holes. Plugs were as good as new, which is good, open holes would let dirt and moisture in.

No I´m thinkin of putting lamps into those holes... cornering lights would be cool. I didn´t find free wires, propably there is none. But if the turn signal switch gives constant power to those free contacts, maybe I put wires and bulbs,...

So much to learn about Riviera. This is great forum.

Hello
I finally have my dreamed 63 Riviera it's a very well preserved dry California beauty. I need to fix the turn signal light actuator cable, I was able to remove the steering column, the screw holding the cable in the steering housing, the switch and cable from the bottom but can not extract the cable, looks like a have to remove the horn switch or the signal switch lever but I don't know how to and I am afraid to brake other pieces. My shop manual book doesn't help, it shows other model instructions.
Any help or advice is highly appreciated guys.

Thank you all

IMG_20190524_095133.jpg

The Phillips head screw at 4:30 holding the red tab down is what you need to remove.  Then slip the actuating wire off of the plastic pin.

• Like 1

I Jim, thank you for your help, I did that, now how do I get the cable out of the column: Should I just pull it out without further disassembling the housing, levers, horn? Pull down from the bottom or pull up from top, It's a very tight and confined space.

Thanks again friends.

Did you remove the cover piece from the underside of the column?  It is a ribbed half cylinder held on by 2 screws.  Once you do that, it slips right out.

Wires under column.jpg

Hello 

Yes I did, I just didn't pull it out, I thought other parts and pieces have to be removed to make room to get it out. OK I will work it out, now that I am sure it is the right procedure and will follow the advice in post to try to fix it, the upper jacket needs to be repaired. Nice picture, looks beautiful.

Thank you for your time and help Jim, I will keep you posted of the repair status. 

By the way Jim, what is that push switch shown in the picture to the left of the horn wire for...? My Oweners manual doesn't say and I couldn't figure out.

16 hours ago, Ocotillo Bandit said:

By the way Jim, what is that push switch shown in the picture to the left of the horn wire for...? My Oweners manual doesn't say and I couldn't figure out.

Trip odometer reset knob.  It is supposed to have a black plastic knob pressed onto this metal shaft.  It cracked from age and fell off.

• Like 1

Hello

I own a 63 Riviera and have also the above mentioned problems with the turn signals. The turn signal switch is a DELCO REMY DR3-63. Right turn is always running good, left turn stops working after a few turns. When it stops working the front left signal is on but not blinking, the back left signal is not working and the brake light left is not working too. As I read I took off the spring and sprayed the pin with contact cleaner. That helped for a while. After driving more than 20 Kilometers the same problem occurred. I parked the car and started it 1 1/2 hour later and the turn signal worked with no problems. This happens every time. Could it be that there is a thermic problem and if so how can it be solved? Or is it something else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Michel

25 minutes ago, Michel Riv63 said:

Hello

I own a 63 Riviera and have also the above mentioned problems with the turn signals. The turn signal switch is a DELCO REMY DR3-63. Right turn is always running good, left turn stops working after a few turns. When it stops working the front left signal is on but not blinking, the back left signal is not working and the brake light left is not working too. As I read I took off the spring and sprayed the pin with contact cleaner. That helped for a while. After driving more than 20 Kilometers the same problem occurred. I parked the car and started it 1 1/2 hour later and the turn signal worked with no problems. This happens every time. Could it be that there is a thermic problem and if so how can it be solved? Or is it something else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Michel

The problem is the mechanical actuating cable that runs from the top of the steering column down to the switch, but only if you have a car with a tilt steering wheel.  The outer housing of the cable breaks.

Sometimes 8f the cable breaks as Jim states above, you can fin one position on your tilt wheel where everything will work. Look for a thread on replacing your cable with a new reproduction one designed for some Chevy model.

Michel, if it is the switch and in my case it was. A replacement can be purchased for a Chev but without cornering lights. Also, beware of the mounting bracket as it might be different. Further to this, I've found an early '63 Riviera with the switch mounted differently at the bottom of the column. Lots of research went into this.

What got me going was removing the switch and found the cable OK, then tested the switch out-of-the-car and found it intermittent. This started the whole ordeal of taking 2 switches apart (both were flakey) and building 1 good switch, all for wanting to keep my cornering lights.

John B.