Fieros and Shelbys

Belvedere

I've noticed in recent AACA Meet Results, several Pontiac Fieros listed in Class 35-B. Having no attended this particular Meet, I can't say as to whether they are indeed regular production Fieros, but assume they are. What is the criteria for placing them in 35-B, rather than Sports Cars or even the appropriate Class 27?

While attending a local show yesterday and admiring a very nice original Dodge Shelby Lancer, the question was raised in my mind, "What about Shelby-Dodge models?" The first Shelby Charger appeared in mid-1983, and was the start of many Shelby-prepared Dodge models including Omnis, Shadows, Lancers and even Dakota pick-ups. Carroll Shelby had a hand in their development, and I believe most (if not all) were sent from the Chrysler assembly line to Shelby Motors for their completion. All were low production.

Does this qualify Dodge Shelby models for Class 35-B as well?

The Class 35 is Limited production, Prototype & Experimental. The Fieros you are referring to are Pontiac PPG Pace Cars. Only six of these cars were done by Ponitac for the PPG Racing Series, all six were to be destroyed. Three of the cars were destroyed. One ended up in a tech school, not sure exactly were the other two went. These cars came from Ponitac with things like racing seat belts, fire surpression system, strobe lights, etc. To a degree they look like they should be in the racing class but they were not a competion vehicle so they do not qualify there. Hope this helps to answer your question

It was at the AACA Central Fall Meet in Moline, where Class 35B listed 2 1985 Pontiacs (no model indicated) and 1 1984 Pontiac Fiero as Award Winners. I assumed the 2 1985 Pontiacs were also Fieros, prompting my inquiry. Maybe someone who attended Moline remembers what model Pontiacs they were, if not PPG Fieros.