Sign in to follow this  
MochetVelo

Air Filter Oil Type?

So far, I've heard 30, 40 and 50-weight oil for the oil-bath filter. Mine is a small one for a Vespa 400 car, but I believe the idea is to avoid a too light an oil or it might get sucked out.

Phil

From the Vespa 400 manual (thanks to Jacques): 20W 40 oil goes into the oil-bath air filter. Total required is 33cc.

Phil

My 1940 Lasalle and my 1956 Continental Mark II both call for 50 weight in summer. The shop manual for the Continental says that use of too light an oil in the filter can cause the car to run rich because too much will get sucked up into the mesh while the car is running.

I use 50 weight in my 1950 Desoto Custom-same oil I use in my old Harley Shovelhead.

My 1936 Plymouth Plymouth P2 owner's manual (page 22) states, regarding the "HEAVY-DUTY AIR CLEANER (Special Equipment) . . . fill to indicated level with one pint of No. 50 (Heavy) engine oil. If the vehicle is operated constantly in extreme cold weather, a lighter oil may be used to advantage."

Will not hurt at all! You will know if it is too thin if too much oil migrates up into the filter mesh and starts "choking" the engine.

Thanks.

I searched for straight 50 but didn't have any luck so I picked up what I thought was the next best thing.

20W50 is not the same, it is 20W oil with an additive. Any good auto parts store should be able to get 50 weight oil. If not, straight 30 weight lawn mower oil, 4 stroke type, should see you through.