Convertible-cable that unlatches top from tonneau...

Guest chris kennedy

Guest chris kennedy

Help! The cable that unlatches the vinyl top from the tonneau deck has separated from the plastic handle and it looks like not enough there to attempt a re-attach. A) Are replacements cables out there and how tough is a fix; or, B) has anyone attempted a solder or welding fix by affixing a key ring to use as a finger pull, C) has anyone converted the manual 90 release with a 91 type electric switch? Hoping someone can help this new Reatta owner. Sincerely, an enthused new owner, chris

The question did not address the plastic handle you pull. I can tell you that GM small front drive cars used the same handle (but not the same bracket) The handle on these cars has a hot stamped "hood" that can be polished off to make it look the same as the Reatta.

In the last 15 years, I only had one person needing a handle.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chris kennedy

I've been absent with a work assignment but thanks to all who took the time to respond. The problem seemed simple at first... devise a way to reattach cable to handle or affix a ring to what is left of the fraying original cable. It appears now owning a 'rare' model car with a unique feature (manual top release) presents ownership with its first challenge. As a general non automotive question has anyone experience with welding an extension on to a steel cable? Is this an area for bike shops (motor & pedal) too as Barney suggests? Many thanks. chris