Zust

Guest daytona

Can anyone tell me anything about this car?? Its a Zust in a race but I don't think its the Great Race. Any ideas? I just bought the photograph and would like to more if possible.

post-62767-143138316274_thumb.jpg

Guest tmodelman

That Italian ZUST racer was in the New York to Paris Race, yes, .."the great race",

Here is another pic of the car....at a rest garage stop in Iowa while crossing the USA..

The ZUST left New York Feb 12, 1908 in the race to Paris. The others were the De Dion, Motobloc, Protos, Sizaire-Naudin and the famous winner of the race......the Thomas Flyer.

That ZUST had chain drive, 30-40hp 4cyl and has a gas tank capacity of 110gal. The drivers were H. Haaga (age 22), AA. Scarfogilo (age 21) and E. Sirtori (age 26)

post-47122-143138316277_thumb.jpg

That Italian ZUST racer was in the New York to Paris Race, yes, .."the great race",

Here is another pic of the car....at a rest garage stop in Iowa while crossing the USA..

The ZUST left New York Feb 12, 1908 in the race to Paris. The others were the De Dion, Motobloc, Protos, Sizaire-Naudin and the famous winner of the race......the Thomas Flyer.

That ZUST had chain drive, 30-40hp 4cyl and has a gas tank capacity of 110gal. The drivers were H. Haaga (age 22), AA. Scarfogilo (age 21) and E. Sirtori (age 26)

Oh to be young and adventurous. The old guy was only 26... That would have been the adventure of a lifetime. Dandy Dave!

• 1 month later...

If you can post a higher rez version of the photo I can check it against our files. We have almost 2000 pics from the race that we used in The Great Auto Race 1908 | In the Beginning documentary of the 1908 Race. The Zust, like the Thomas and Protos, changed a great deal over the course of the race. You can tell where they were by their appearance. For instance, in Vladivostok the Protos stripped most of its weight off for the final dash. The Thomas changed in Buffalo, Cheyenne, San Francisco, and mildly throughout Siberbia. There is another post on this site, for example, that shows the Flyer from the Wyoming archives. These pictures are not of the 1908 race but the 1909 cross USA race. How can you tell? Check out the fenders...and driver. We have a great picture of the Zust arriving in Paris that we could compare your pic to. The Zust in Victoria has a "cameo" appearance in our film.