"Full Classics" f/k/a "Classics"

Ed Miller

"Full Classics formerly known as (F/K/A) "Classics" are luxury automobiles produced between 1925 and 1948 and recognized by the Classic Car Club of America (CCCA). Anyone interest in these icons of beauty post a message. I have a 1933 Packard 12 Convertible Sedan and a 1932 Cadillac V8 All Weather Phaeton. I've previously owned a 1935 Mercedes Benz 500K Cabriolet Type B and a 1930 Pierce Arrow Model B Sedan. I have also driven or ridden in a bunch of other Classics (I prefer that name, it's simpler and is a perfect description of these masterpieces.) I hope to hear from you soon.

Yup, lots can be said about the classics and in different places. Does the "C" in classic really stand for Cadillac? Or how about the "P"? I bet the Pierce-Arrow may be faster than the other "P" car! But you know what, those Packards are Blue chip investments! Its all just a hobby and its nice to enjoy them all, where ever we look. Al

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chuck Conrad

It's no secret that the term "Classic" is generally used in many ways the Classic Car Club of America never intended some 50 years ago. shocked.gif" border="0 The term has become part of American English meaning almost anything worth preservation (not just cars). As a result, CCCA decided to trademark the terms "Full Classic" and "Modified Classic." To some degree these monikers are starting to catch on. I've noticed some publications refering to cars as "CCCA Full Classics," which I think fairly well defines what they are talking about.<P>Even so, it's really not worth getting too hung up about the words. It's true, some people love to ask why their **** (pick your favorite car) isn't accepted by CCCA at their meets. In fact, it seems asking "why" has become a hobby unto itself. I guess the best explanation "why" is the same as why you wouldn't expect to get a Mustang judged at a Chevy meet. It's not that they are bad cars, they just aren't what that particular club is about.<P><BR>I enjoy old cars of all kinds. Even though I am very involved with CCCA, you'll find other cars (as well as CCCA "Full Classics" in my garage. Most CCCA members appreciate and own other cars too. It's a big hobby and there is a car to suit almost every taste. <P>We should be happy about that. Enjoy the ride.<p>[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Chuck Conrad ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chuck Conrad

Incidentally, at next weeks Annual Meeting, we will have a Classic Car Seminar, moderated by Jeff Locke. He has invited me to attend as a representative of CCCA, even though I've been an active AACA member for a lot longer than I've been involved in CCCA. Even so, the CCCA folks have recently made me their First Vice President. CCCA's President is also a long time AACA member, but he will be unable to attend.<P>Anyway, I will be available for target practice. It should be an interesting session.

Chuck,<P>I've been familiar with the CCCA definition of "Classic" for decades and I've always had one problem with it. Why is 1948 given as such an arbitrary cutoff date? <P>I understand how the CCCA seeks to preserve an aspect of motoring that the privileged classes enjoyed during the are of coachbuilding and the like. However, that class and syle of motoring hardly died with the Lincoln Continental. There have been many equally exclusive automotive creations regularly manufactured since 1948, some through exclusive coachbuilders (i.e. the Ghia Imperials, Arnolt Jaguars and Bristols, etc.) or equally well made creations in house (1.e. the Aston-Martin Lagonda, the R-R Carmargue, etc.).<P>I've seen a number of cars such as these receiving treatment that they'd never see if their owners understood that they had a vehicle of such limited cachet. When will manufactured runs of cars such as these be deemed worthy of inclusion in the recognized Full Classics category?

p.s. In answering my question, please don't fall back on the process of accepting applications for inclusion on an individual vehicle basis. That process ignores completely the similiarity of the production runs of pre- and post-war cars of this nature, and (to those of us on the outside) smacks of an exclusive club rather than the recognition of any particular vehicle's merit.