Sign in to follow this  
Doctor's Pontiac

Fender emblem

Can somebody help matching the correct fender emblem with the different years on the Pontiac Chieftains? I drive a 1950 Chieftain (not Deluxe) and have silver-colored round emblems on each rear fender. I have seen several pictures with a red-colored emblem on other Chieftains. Hope somebody will know which is the right one for the 1950 car. Thanks. Manuel

hi manuel, bill is pretty much correct, the rear fender emblems you have pictured are for 1951, 1952, and 1953 pontiacs, there's a left and a right, as the chief should be looking toward the front on the car. these emblems all have the background painted red, alot of these end up losing the paint over the years. in 1954, in the non-starchief models, pontiac replaced the chief's head with a design that has an airplane wing look to it. same size as the 51 to 53 emblem. i've seen several 54's where someone put on the older emblems. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci.

hi manuel, bill is pretty much correct, the rear fender emblems you have pictured are for 1951, 1952, and 1953 pontiacs, there's a left and a right, as the chief should be looking toward the front on the car. these emblems all have the background painted red, alot of these end up losing the paint over the years. in 1954, in the non-starchief models, pontiac replaced the chief's head with a design that has an airplane wing look to it. same size as the 51 to 53 emblem. i've seen several 54's where someone put on the older emblems. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, poci.

The only other Pontiac's including StarChief to not have the emblem would also be all of the station wagons. IMO the best looking of the 49-52 models would be 49-50 because they look cleaner without the emblem and their rear trunk/lock handle/ cover plus their body side molding (deluxe & super deluxe) was simpler and cleaner especially cleaner than the 52.

Doc... your lucky to have a 50!!

Don

Thanks guys ! Mine is a 1950 2 door sedan which I thought was all stock.... but now I learned from your mails that it is not! Somebody added 2 fender emblems on mine, who knows when. They are silver colored and a look nice. I was trying to get my car to the original factory specifications and for that reason wanted to replace the emblem with the correct one. Now I am in a predicament. They don´t belong there.... but they look fine ! So, I gues these beauties main purpose is to provide enjoyment to the owners, so I will just leave them there. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Manuel