Sign in to follow this  
pyntre

nailhead machine shop in Minnesota ?

Is there a machine shop / engine rebuilder in the Minneapolis, St. Paul area that REALLY knows their way around a nailhead... '65 401 ? Thanks in advance ...always lots of great help from you all in Riviera Land !

Not that I know of. I have had the long-time NAPA shop near me close up and a fella at the Carquest shop that I could work with leave for a dealership. What is it that you need done? Milling heads and basic valve jobs are pretty straight forward as well as rod reconditioning and cylinder boring/pistons and ring fitting. Guide work-rockers/shafts and valve seat replacement is more tricky. Crank grinding is done by a N Mpls crank shop that does good work. A basic repair/freshening isn't too bad, but knocking everything apart-tanking the block-and getting EVERYTHING back together correctly is getting more unlikely around here these days=just my oppinion-good luck

Adelmann Engines in Blaine. Tom there builds most hot flatties, including former LSR holder for flatties (he is freshening that one up right now for another shot). You will find many cool older engines in his shop. Definetely knows his way around engines that no one else will touch.

I have to agree with both Dan and Paul, most of the remaining machine shops do only small blocks and ocassionally resurface an aluminum head from a late model econo-box. Adelmann would get my vote for a complete rebuild, but like Dan said, if you can do some of the work yourself, there are individual shops for block boring and crankshaft grinding that should do OK. The heads and especially the valve seats are areas for the experts! The seats are very thin on the nailhead and if they replace them with inserts that are too thick, they'll drill them right into the water jacket and ruin the heads! Let us know how the rebuild turns out!

Tim