need help identifying old Autolite Distributor...

Guest tonfan

Hi,I have an old Autolite distributor from my brothers estate.He was a master mechanic with auto and marine engines.This appears to be for a 4-cylinder engine with the model number as follows : 1GW 4116A and then followed by" 4 Y S ".....Many thanks in advance ! I've searched the net but can find no reference to the above numbers......With Regards, Tonfan

It is probably Marine application, Iwent thru my 1929-1942 Shurhit catalog and no listing for IGW-4116. Only 4 cyl close was 1939 Willys Overland 4 cyl IGW-4129.

Stude8

I have an Autolite Parts Catalog from 1939 listing both automotive and marine applications and that number is not listed in there. That would indicate the part was not manufactured yet as of '39. Also, all indications in this reference would tend to make one believe that the first character is probably an "I" not a "1". (Would be IGW 4116A). Good luck!

Guest tonfan

Hey! Thank you! On closer inspection the plate DOES read IGW4116.What appeared to be an "A" at the end of 4116 (upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass) could be an upside down "V" or a poorly stamped "A" or even a "/ " (slash) mark....I am wondering if the correct sequence is : IGW4116.....Thank you again,the info is much appreciated ! Regards, Tonfan

Guest tonfan

Hi 1936 D2,

Thanks again for the help...I thought that the "A"was a few accidental nicks in the i.d. plate but it's too perfect looking to be an accident.....Best Regards,Tonfan

Guest tonfan

Thanks! Could you tell me what the "universal" notation would be,or is this denoting the distributor could fit many applications (IGW 4116A) ? Many Thanks, Tonfan