Questions about taking apart a '63 Riv

Guest 63dreaming

Guest 63dreaming

Hello everyone,

Your help is much needed! My father and I are in the process of taking apart a '63. We're at the point of removing the body from the frame, and our original owners manuals aren't providing too much assistance. My first inquiry is about where all the frame bolts are located. We have two in the front behind the first set of wheels, and the same in the back behind the second set of wheels. Surely there are more bolts securing the body to the frame?

My second question would be in regards to the windshield wiper removal. We have the assembly loose inside the body in front of the windshield, but we haven't been able to figure out how to take the actual wiper off to allow the internal parts to become free. There is a clip that seems like it's holding the wiper onto the metal assembly rods, but pressing it and pulling/prying etc. has led to nothing. We don't want to damage anything, and again the book isn't providing any help.. Any knowledge out there?

Looking forward to hearing replies, and thanks for your time! We hope to get this thing moving soon enough.

Guest Gee_Rydes

1 mount on each side near the radiator. 2 on each side where the front fender meets the firewall. 1 each side at the "top" of the frame near the upper shock mount. 1 each side behind rear tire and 1 each side at rear most corner of the frame.

This info is for a 65 but I think the 63 is the same.

Dreamer, (name?)

The wiper arms are held on by the "clip" you see at the bottom. But, with the spring tension on the arm, the arm will cock itself on the shaft. You can usually get them off easily if you can overcome the spring action on the arm. Pulling the arm away from the windshield puts more pressure on the shaft. Try leaving the blade in place, release the spring clip, and gently pry the outer side of the arm off the shaft.

If you find that the '63 is different from what Dave describes for the '65 (and I doubt if you will,) let me know and I'll browse through the '63 body manual that I have and see what other information is in it that's not in the chassis manual.

Ed

No disrespect intended, dreaming, but if you have to ask where the body mounts are (that are plainly visible from the underside of the car), or ask how to undo the wiper linkage (which is an unsophisticated mechanical task) you might be biting off a lot more than you can chew. They come apart real easy. Putting them together correctly without understanding how they work is next to impossible. Don't let rose colored glasses cloud your vision of what your capabilities are...

I don't want to come across as a naysayer, but there's a lot of garages full of dismantled vehicles and unfinished projects. Don't make yours another one!

Steve

Guest Keith Fosse

Gungeey,

My son is probably old enough at 18 to fight his own battles, but honestly, the tone of your response is exactly why I don't frequent this forum very often.

You didn't know it, but the reason my son asked the questions he did was that they were minor stumbling blocks that we encountered during our last work session on the car and I saw them as a good way to get him to engage with the wider group of Riviera enthusiasts by asking about them.

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like there are a lot of people that spend time here that want to tell others why they shouldn't do it, or can't do it, rather than helping folks with an honest question. I just used a pretty broad brush and apologize to folks like Gee Rydes (Your facebook page is a ton of inspiration and source of ideas) and Rivnut (Who I have seen plenty of great, caring responses from).

Are there really enough people devoted to your hobby and passion to deter the ones that want to share it? I don't see alot of youth today that care about older cars, much less relatively obscure ones like the Riviera. I'll extend that thought by adding that the number probably shrinks even further when you consider only the ones that are willing to turn a wrench to obtain what they want.

Honestly, Rivieras aren't my cup of tea - but they are my son's - and I'll support him growing his capabilities as he pursues this dream that he has. I hope that this community will as well.

63 Dreaming,

There is a tool available for removing the wiper arms that was made by Lisle Tools and fits most of the 60's through 70's GM cars.

As cars age, sometime replacement parts are installed that are updated from the originals. Some wiper arms have a small "catch" that will hold the tension of the wiper arm spring and allow the arm to be removed. Another version has about a 1/8 inch hole drilled in it that would allow you to lift the arm upward until the hole in the arm lines up with one on the base; just slide a 1/8 inch steel rivet through the hole and release the tension of the spring. Work the base back and forth and pull up, the arms should come off.

HTH,

Tim

Guest 63dreaming

Name's Kyle by the way. And thanks for the reply on the wiper arms, I'll give it a shot when I'm around the car tomorrow and let you know with the results. I'm working the body mounts right now but the majority of the bolts are breaking rather than coming free, as I've come to expect with this car.

Nonetheless, progress is being made slow but steady.

Guest rsteere

Kyle, Good luck on your project. Keep up the positive attitude and you can do it. I raised 2 boys and there Buick projects too. I am sure your dad has suggested this but if not don't forget to bag and tag all your parts. Take some pictures too. It will help with the reassembly and posting progress on line. Randy