fire extinguisher requirements for show

K8096

Hmm. I wonder Steve, if this might be a way for the Club to make a few bucks. Put the logo on an approved extinguisher and viola! Might be a neat way for folks to ensure they have proper safety gear AND support the club at the same time.

Just an idea...must have been those late 70's marketing classes...

Might be a good idea and then again it could backfire. In the past I have heard comments that if the AACA did sell them folks would think that making money was the reason for the rule about having to have one.

That is sad. You would think folks would WANT to help out the club, especially if the cost was reasonable. I mean, just the convenience factor of being able to pick one up at an event more than makes up for the gas spent on a trip to a big box store just to get one.

Oh well.

It is sad . However I have in the past heard comments that people that did not want to buy one at all, that thought the rule was not needed, would think that the club made the rule to sell fire extinguishers. I know that some vendors have brought some to sell.

Maybe if a memo was included with the registration sheet that extinguishers would be for sale, in the event that the owner forgets to bring one, and where they could be found would work. That would serve as a reminder to check the one(s) they have and give them the chance to pick one up before they come to the meet. Or they can then opt to buy one at the meet. Their choice.

Maybe if a memo was included with the registration sheet that extinguishers would be for sale, in the event that the owner forgets to bring one, and where they could be found would work. That would serve as a reminder to check the one(s) they have and give them the chance to pick one up before they come to the meet. Or they can then opt to buy one at the meet. Their choice.

Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I always keep my extinguisher in the car and check it before I roll out of the house, even if just for a pleasure drive.

However I have gone out forgetting things like paper towels or tire dressing or even a windbreaker, so I can emphasize with somebody who just missed that important thing on the checklist.

But those minor things don't keep you from the showfield, where an extinguisher does. It would be a piece of mind to know that there is a ready supply available in case you made a huge oopsie.

Then again, if this is a non-issue...sorry for wasting the electrons, and your time.

• 6 months later...
Guest 31V12Roadster

Does anyone want to go out on a limb and recommend a fire extinguisher by brand? I have a car that will be at a few shows this year and I want to make sure I have the best available in case of fire to my or another's car.

Guest billybird

I would say most any brand would be good as long as it is UL approved. I would probably buy U.S. made if possible. A fire extinguisher needs to be shaken or turned upside down periodically so the powder inside does not harden rendering it useless. Our fire dept. cuts old extinguishers open and puts the hardened powder in freezer bags, throw them down chimneys to put out chimney fires. A working fire extinguisher is like an insurance policy: you want to have it, but hope you never need it.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched a bike burn on a local show field because even though most participants were AACA members, no had thought to enforce the fire extinguisher rule in the bike class. A spectator knocked the just parked (ridden to the show) bike and fuel spilled from the tank and hit the exhaust.b Thankfully a car owner saw the incident and ran over from where the cars were to the bike area and put it out. Fire extinguishers are vital and I am a believer. If a car leaves the garage, there's an extinguisher in it, spares in the tow vehicle and trailer. If the AACA sells fire extinguishers, it could open itself up to a liability scenario and simply can't risk that, no matter how vital an issue it is. Just one more time we( the owners) have to do it ourselves and the club has to enforce the ruling. For all our sake.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an example, floating around the web right now, as to why you should have an extinguisher.

These photos were all taken within an hour. First time out after restoration.

(LR wheel came off - loose lug nuts - tank scraped the ground.) :eek:

post-67404-143138567415_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138567418_thumb.jpg

post-67404-14313856742_thumb.jpg