Trunk Light

Guest Oldie & Goodie

Guest Oldie & Goodie

The trunk light in our 51' Roadmaster isn't working and naturally we thought it was the bulb and replaced it to no avail.

After checking the wiring there is power in the wire as it enters the light socket but not in the socket itself. I finally found in the repair manual that the socket is actually a mercury switch socket. I'm guessing the contacts are shot but there is no way to get into the socket.

Anyone know where a replacement can be found.? I'd rather leave it not working, and put a flashlight in the trunk if they aren't available, than butcher it by adding a switch in the trunk somewhere.

Thanks.

There is nothing to go wrong with a mercury switch unless the mercury leaks out. If the power is getting to the bulb then the ground must be faulty. Can you take the socket out, clean the contacts, and make sure it has a good ground?

PS every house thermostat has a mercury switch in it. You could take one out of an old thermostat, glue it to your light socket and not even drill a hole.

The 46 - 48 Fords (and maybe later) have a mercury switch mounted on the trunk lid hinge and the mercury switch is avalible from the repo dealers. I have added C & G Ford parts web page below and if you click on the item you will get a blow up of how it goes togeather and you may be able to adapt it to fit your car.

David

https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlvry40/ufolder/ShowProducts.php?c=1&s=51&g=398&t=2169

Guest Oldie & Goodie
There is nothing to go wrong with a mercury switch unless the mercury leaks out. If the power is getting to the bulb then the ground must be faulty. Can you take the socket out, clean the contacts, and make sure it has a good ground?

I used a tester, the type that one end goes to ground and the other has a needle like point to pierce the wire and right where the wire enters the socket I have juice. When I take the point and push on the socket, nothing. Tipped forward or backward can't get anything at the bulb socket. I'll try and get a better ground wire hooked up and routed as the ground on the trunk lid may not be good enough? See if that does the trick.

Guest Bob Call

If the wire is hot before it enters the socket but you cannot get continuity in the socket then there has to be a break in the wire inside the socket. See if you can open the socket to reconnect the wire. If not, you may have to get a new socket.