Fuel Pump

Guest Oldie & Goodie

Guest Oldie & Goodie

Okay, after having to endure the 51' not starting, again, I've decided to install an Airtex inline fuel pump.

After driving anywhere more than 15 miles in anything above 80 degrees the engine gets so hot that I either have to wait at least an hour for things to cool down or get out the screwdriver , remove the air cleaner and force feed her to get things going. I've read good reviews on the Airtex and know how to install & wire but I still have 1 question.

Does the gas tank need to be emptied before I begin or when I cut into the fuel line am I only going to get whats in the line?

Just for safety's sake, gaze away with your eyes for a second as you make the cut. Seems no matter how improbable, that the few times I have failed to do this, have resulted in an eye or two full of unwanted things!

Use one of those curly low energy bulbs. They don't break as easy and you won't burn yourself on them.

Wear safety glasses or even better, one of those plastic goggles that fit tight to the face.

You could have the pump all mounted, with 2 rubber hoses on it complete with hose clamps. Then cut the line and stick the hoses on in less than a minute.

I personally threw away the old style drop lights years ago and now only own the florescent style that is enclosed in plastic. Any spark and liquid hydrocarbon does not make for a good day. Also, the old style gets hot and burns things.

Side note, I just bought an updated one with a retractable cord reel at Costco a couple of weeks ago for I think $40.00 and it is a Snap-On brand light.

Guest Oldie & Goodie
I personally threw away the old style drop lights years ago and now only own the florescent style that is enclosed in plastic. Any spark and liquid hydrocarbon does not make for a good day. Also, the old style gets hot and burns things.

Side note, I just bought an updated one with a retractable cord reel at Costco a couple of weeks ago for I think $40.00 and it is a Snap-On brand light.

Exactly what I have, florescent on a retractable mounted overhead in the middle of the garage. Works great and when your done it's out of the way.

Guest Oldie & Goodie

Update.

Anyone thinking of adding an inline fuel pump let me tell you, what a difference. Most of my problem was when it got hot out, say over 80 degrees. But there were times if I parked in a certain postion, uphill, I'd still have a heck of a time starting up, not to mention the wear and tear on the starter.

Well this weekend I installed an inline pump. Now I flip the switch, let it run for 10 seconds, hit the starter and I'm running. I don't need to run the pump once the engine is running so I flip it off. Really takes the frustration out of starting up.

Thanks to those that offered advice & safety reminders.

Dear oldie, a good idea, but... there are considerations. One is, where is the pickup tube in your gas tank? My caddy fuel line is flare fitted at the lower corner. Therefore, I would expect fuel to continue to "syphon" out if the flow is not blocked downstream. Only the line turning over the differential will slow the flow. Be prepared with a piece of fuel line with a bolt in one end, to slide onto the cut off line. Now my Hornet has a pickup tube on top of the tank, better. Airtex( solenoid pump) is OK, and fuel pressure probably will not require a regulator. Check your cars fuel pump pressure at the carb and the standards. Avoid dial in types. And don't forget, if you are still running the fuel through a mech pump, that in a rare possibility, the elec pump can dump gas into the crankcase. You will know this when the sweet smell of burning bearings becomes evident, or a burning car! I don't like that setup. Least of all, it is still a deduction to have a electric pump on a post WW2 car, if this matters.