40 chev won't start when hot

Guest Gonfish

Hey, just wondering if anyone can give me some mechanical advice. My 1940 Chev Coupe, 216 engine, will start great when cold, but when shut off will not restart until engine cools right back down. I replaced coil, did not help. Ideas? Thanks!

it depends on what you mean by "will not restart".if this means it will spin but not start you may have a fuel or ignition problem.if when it gets hot you cannot spin the engine then either you have battery cables that are too small a gauge or not clean and tight at the connections.may also need a ground cable from chassis to engine block.worn bushings in the starter can act like bad cables or connections also.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. The motor turns over like normal when it's hot, but will not fire. I can check out potential fuel problems by dumping a little gas in the carb, I guess, and seeing if it will fire then? I guess that would tell me there is no fuel getting to the carb when it's hot. As far as potential ignition problems go, after replacing the coil, I'm not sure what to try.

• 1 month later...
Guest davidhill

Sounds like the battery. When there's not enough energy to turn the engine over it just makes a fast clicking sound. You can still have enough power to turn on lights and sound the door chime but it won't last for long. Get a jump and make sure you didn't leave anything on. If you didn't leave anything on, drive right to a battery shop. Batteries plus has the cheapest batteries in my area.