Sign in to follow this  
thetex

1940 packard door seal removal

Old originals are melting and mostly gone- What is best way to remove and solvent to use? Thanks, Tom

Trying this question again-    The old rubber door weatherstrip has dissolved and made a big mess on running boards-  I'm sure the solids that remains can be scraped off but what solvent recommended to remove the "melted" remaining?          Thanks, Tom

I don't know of a solvent, but you can heat the rubber with a propane torch a few inches at a time and then rub off with a stiff wire brush.  You may ( will) damage the paint under the rubber.

I'm getting ready to do the same thing on my car. I was thinking of taking a wire brush on a drill, then painting the area. I'm asking a restorer friend right now, and will report what he says.

I've had some limited experience with the melted rubber but rubber here mostly dries so may not have been in as poor a condition as yours and the adhesive may not be the same.  3M makes an adhesive removal solvent that works on softening the adhesive in some cases -- but still takes some hand work.  I did have some luck with that but it is not the most economical of products if you have a lot to remove. I would try the 3M and also one of the citrus based bug and tar removal products and a plastic scraper before resorting to heat and a wire brush. 

Ahhhhh..... no, DO NOT use the wire brush on the drill technique I mentioned in my previous post!!! The problem is the original weatherstripping is real rubber, and is turning back into sap. You will end up with a real mess.

He highly recommends using RM900 Pre Kleano Surface Prep for paint. It is the best non-abrasive solution for the job. Buy it by the gallon, pour some into an old Windex spray bottle, spray a rag and start scrubbing. It will work kind of like Goo-Gone. You'll need to kind of soak it and let it loosen and disolve a little.

R-M 900 Pre-Kleano is a solevant cleaner that is designed to remove silicone, wax, grease, road tar, and oils. It is recommended to use this product to clean/prep an area before you begin painting. Pre-Kleano will slightly penetrate existing paint for good adhesion for the following paint coats.

https://store.paintbull.com/p/202/900-pre-kleano-surface-prep

I was introduced to Pre Kleano 30 years ago when I was working with a long time body man when we were painting my 41 Packard woody and 31 Franklin victoria. It's good stuff.

If you need to use a scraper, get some tongue depressors and trim with scissors to shape, wood won't gouge the paint surface like a metal putty knife or scraper will. Another good cleaner for surfaces that may be dirty from years of accumulated gunk in the air  that you don't want to ruin the painted surface (works on collectible automobilia stuff too like lithographed signs, cans etc) is waterless hand cleaner - but make sure to get the kid that has no grit/pumice  in it!

PPG calls it Wax and Grease Remover. We generically call it Pre Kleano but any automotive wax and grease remover will work. All body shops have it.