Tubeless tires

Joseph P. Indusi

I have bias ply tubeless tires, correct size and whitewall dimension, on a 1953 Buick. The AACA Judging Guide says that one may simply put in tubes instead of removing or buffing off the word "tubeless" on the sidewall. I am leary about putting tubes inside these tires. The guide implies that buffing off the word "tubelss" is also acceptable.

Am I reading this correctly? If I go with this option, do I risk deduction because the tires are not tube type?

Joe, BCA 33493

To avoid any potential for deduction, the valve stems need to look like they did originally. I don't know how you can do that without installing tubes. You can buff off the word "tubeless", but you do not have to.

If you want to simply run the tubeless tires, then you are looking at a potential point deduction. I am guessing it would be one or two points per tire. You just have to decide what you want to do and what potential deductions you are willing to give away. Only you can answer that question.

MCHinson:

Thanks for your reply. I do not feel that running a tubeless tire with a tube inside is a good idea. I am worried about heat buildup, the possiblity of a tube failure, some concerns about tube quality as expressed in these forums, and the potential damage to the paint on the wheels from the removal and installation process. I am also not sure you can even buy a tube type tire in the size I need anymore.

The potential point deduction for AACA judging is up to 5 points per tire, while Buick Club of America is 1 point per tire.

Joe

While there were some issues with some tubes for a period of time (I think about 24 to 12 months ago), I believe those issues have been resolved. While not an expert, I don't think there is really any problem with tubes inside tubeless tires. The opportunity to chip paint on wheels does not really have anything to do with tubes, that is just an issue of installing the tires. I trust that any of the leading Reproduction Antique Tire Suppliers could furnish what you need to be safe and look original. You just need to decide what you want to do.

The valve stems are where I am guessing you would get the point deduction on your tubeless tires, although, it is possible that you would receive a deduction for the valve stem as well as the tire itself.

Have you looked at Coker Tire, or Universal Tire, or any of the other supplier's websites?

MCHinson:

Thanks for your reply. I do not feel that running a tubeless tire with a tube inside is a good idea. Joe

A lot of Amphicar owners have tubes in tubeless tires (both bias & radials) with no issues. I have had this set up for 7 years and over 6,000 miles.

The biggest problem of late with valve stems (without tubes) are they all appear to be made in China, are junk and fail quite often. I just had my 4th valve stem failure in a 3 year period on a different vehicle.

Joe,

Yes, you can put tubes in a tubless tire without any problems. It seems to me that your main concern is the wording "Tubeless" on the tire. Leave it there and don't worry about it. There are no 760 or 800 X 15's tires being made in tube type and most judges should know that. And as far as putting tubes in the tires to cover yourself, leave the tubless stems in. Running full covers, you can't see the stem base at the rim anyways. An expose stem in the spare would be the only one to be concerned with as long as it's highly exposed.

Good luck showing!