1960 Lesabre paint code crossover?

Guest 34KCenturion

Guest 34KCenturion

I have tried to buy the factory correct color code "H" chalet blue paint for my 1960 Buick Lesabre at several automotive paint suppliers only to be told that color was no longer available. Has anyone had this issue trying to find paint? I want to stay with factory color but do not know how to find chalet blue. I would like a single stage paint. any help would be appreciated.

My reference book indicates that 1960 Buick Chalet Blue (HH code) is PPG 12234

Checking other GM cars of the same vintage shows 1960 Chevrolet called it Horizon Blue.

1960 Oldsmobile called it Dresden Blue, and Pontiac called it Skymist Blue.

There used to be a section of the PPG website that had color chips, PPG "numbers", and the factory codes on it. It might still be there . . . haven't looked at it in several years. Quite neat!

I would think that any formulas they would have for a vintage paint would be "single stage" rather than otherwise. Factory paint was acrylic lacquer, which might be harder to get some of than acrylic enamel considering that two-stage paints are later-style acrylic enamels.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

My '62 special's paint code is "H", glacier blue, possibly the same as yours. Bought some from a local, knowledgeable, automotive paint supplier, in acrylic enamel, also referenced to cadillac of that year they said. Later bought some acrylic lacquer for the exterior, (not in Calif. though, had to buy it in Ariz.) Turns out i'm not going to use the acrylic lacquer if it would work for you. Rick

Rick, the 1962 Speical "H" Glacier Blue has a PPG number of 12549.

The book I am using is by Motorbooks Internationa, the title "American Automobile Paint Code interchange Manual 1945-1995" mine was published in 1995. I do not know if there are later versions.

Guest palosfv3

Mixing up colors from the past on todays mixing systems isnt difficult . You just need to get someone at a local PBE store that knows what he is doing. Whether its PPG,DuPont or whoever, SS or BC/CC, it can be done. Some companies like PPG keep a fairly good database of formulas that have been recalculated to match with todays mixing toners. Others may not be as diligent in reformulating the colors. Every once in a while you may hit an impass but it can be resolved if you have a good unfaded section of the original color you need to match. Several paint companies have the ability of using a computer aided color spectrometer that can read the sample and will search the reference formulas for one that most closely matches .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 34KCenturion

Thank you for the help. I will try the PPG code. Does anyone know if their code is a metallic like the original paint was?