'63 Blower Fuse Problem

JDRiv

Greetings -

I was using a test light on the fuse block under the dash of my '63 today when I discovered that my "Blower" fuse was extremely hot. The Blower is not currently working...basically none of the heating/air conditioning system is. I have plenty of other items to tackle before heating and A/C, but I would kind of like to understand what might be going on there since it could indicate other issues with the electrical system. I went ahead and removed the fuse until I can learn more about what might be going on.

Can anyone tell me what size the Blower fuse is supposed to be? The number has worn off on my fuse block so that I can't read it. I would also appreciate any ideas about what could be causing the situation I described.

Best regards,

JD

Hello Jeff:

If the old blower fuse was not blown before you removed it, it was hot because of two conditions: current was being 'drawn' in that circuit AND the fuse block connections for that fuse (fuse ends, fuse clips, fuse block wires) are oxidized.

Over time and exposure to the elements, the brass or plated steel contacts oxidize (hey, they're not gold plated!)... Oxidization causes resistance to current flow which produces heat. A vicious cycle then develops. Cleaning all fuse ends & fuse clips with fine emery cloth is the way to go.

If your HVAC system is not working, something is going on in that circuit. Something in the blower circuit is drawing current. It could even be a bad switch. You can easily measure that current flow with a digital multi-meter (it's probes placed on the blower fuse clips with the fuse removed).

A wiring diagram for your '63 Riviera will be indispensible. This will enable you to work backward from the end components (blower, compressor clutch, etc.) and find what is drawing current in that circuit.

Keep us posted,

Paul

PS: I had a similar problem with the dome fuse in my Toronado. The heat was caused by the oxidized fuse blades & fuse block clips. I used that opportunity to clean all the fuses & clips in the block.